PDA

View Full Version : Stairgate Advice Please

Fairydust
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Just a quick query! I have today arranged for a new stair carpet to be fitted and a joiner is all lined up to put down a wooden floor in my hallway while I have no mindees (off for 2 wks soon). I really dont want to put my stairgate back up and spoil the newly painted woodwork and walls. My bathroom is downstairs and the minded children are not allowed upstairs (I chose not to have the upstairs part of the house registered). Do you think it is essential to have a stairgate fitted on the bottom of the stairs or do you think I could get away with not having one? Have spoken to Childminders today at our weekly group and some dont have them and some do! A bit confused but my inspection is imminent and I dont want to give them any cause for complaint if you know what I mean. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

katickles
08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
There was a similar thread earlir that i read.

Again some minder do have them & some don't making sure that the children learn not to go near them.

I guess its upto you really.

If you don't have one - i'm sure as long as ofsted can see taht you have risk assesed it you would be ok.

Fairydust
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Thankyou. I have a stairgate up just now but have two teenage children of my own who leap over it and get fed up explaining to their pals why their Mum has a "baby gate". I think I will keep it in the cupboard and if I get pulled up on by the Inspector for not having a gate I can easily put it back!

sarah707
08-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Can you get one that's a barrier rather than a screw in the wall gate?

They work by tightening pads at the sides ... I had one for years and it didn't damage my house :D

found it! 4th one down on here ...

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Category.aspx/BruHome/BruSafety/BruSafetyGatesPens
Easy Fit Plus Stair Gate

Easy to fit baby stair gate with one handed opening. This safety barrier is pressure mounted and easy to assemble for essential safety around the home for baby.

berkschick
08-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Personally, I would not have a child who could not use the stairs safely without a stairgate. Its just too risky and I would never forgive myself if anything happened. :panic:

Also, you have to think about if an older child got upstairs and got hold of things they shouldnt. I can still remember my son who was 3 at the time plastering my walls in lipstick :rolleyes:

katickles
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I have the lindam pressure gates as well Sarah :)

Spangles
08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I couldn't not have a stairgate at the bottom or top of the stairs! I would really worry if I didn't have them so it's for my own peace of mind in my case.

katickles
08-07-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't have one at the top of my stairs (only down stairs is registered), we couldn't get one fitted at the top due to the shape & size. We fixed one on my dd bedroom instead, again i'm with the others that for my own peace of mind i couldn't have them not up.

Pedagog
08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Bad mother here:blush: I have never had a stairgate, and my eldest is now 16. My four were all taught early on how to go up and down safely.

I will be odd having on for mindees.

buildingblocks
10-07-2008, 05:07 PM
As far as I am aware your insurance may require that you have it. Mine is NCMA and I am sure that it states if you have under 2's who are mobile then it needs to be in place (need to get mine back up).

I hate stair gates - fell down my stairs a couple of years ago and hit it full on not nice and worries me if a child did the same the damage it could do to be honest. I would much rather teach them how to go up and down safely.

i am hoping once I get a bit of extra cash to by the roller blind type to put up

Rubybubbles
10-07-2008, 05:21 PM
stair gates have been part of my life for 6 years!!! I just pop them off at the end of the day lol

But I'm in RAF quaters and don't give a hoot about the holes in the walls:laughing:

sandy
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I've never had a stairgate whilst minding. The whole family find them such an inconvenience and I think they put up with enough already !!!

Never had any accidents or close shaves, I've taught the children very firmly right from the start that the stairs are out of bounds and they've all accepted that........ SO FAR !

Sandy x

elaineg
11-07-2008, 06:04 AM
I have my topic board in front of the stairs, kids cant get up and its put away at the end of the day.

love Elaine XXX

Heaven Scent
11-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I use the portable style gates at top and bottom of my stairs - I've just had my landing hall & stairs decorated and paper was £35.00 per roll plus my 2 are older now and as a family we don't need stair gates. One is a Baby Dan and the other is a Tomy I do have metal ones in door ways and they re not screwed to the wall either as I use the door frames to secure them anyway I screw them up that tight that they withstand all sorts of rocking on them. I often have 2 1 year olds standing up at them rocking them. I didn't realise that bit about the insurance and under 2's will have to take a look at my MM policy and see what it says my 20 month old has lost his fixation with the stairs now and never attempts to mount them so I only put them on when the 1 year old is here 2 days per week as he just loves to fly up stairs any chance he can get at the moment - just cause he can - you know what they are like at that age so I just pop one on when I need to. Also I do have the problem of my two leaving the gates off the stairs when they go up and down but if I have the little fella he is usually caged into the play room or he's strapped into his high chair or in his travel cot for a sleep its only at his pick up and collection time or when we are getting ready for school runs that I need to worry and make sure its on but I'm aware of that so I do it therefore its rarely a problem.

LOOPYLISA
11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I have the pressure stairgates to be honest its a good idea to have them, i only have to turn my back for a second and my neice is on her way upstairs:eek: x

Chimps Childminding
11-07-2008, 10:31 PM
I use the pressure mounted ones, but not on the stairs. I have them in the doorways through to the hall, so the lo's cant get to the stairs (have downstairs loo so no need to go upstairs)!