PDA

View Full Version : Remind me about how long to keep things for please!

LittleAcornsThatcham
10-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I was operating on the '21 year' theory but then thought actually I'm sure that can't be relevant for everything!

Obviously anything pertaining to an actual child is as above.

What about tax stuff? Receipts, accounts books etc?

Things that don't relate to the children directly, eg generic planning, menus, I'm assuming you can just delete/throw away as needed?

What about risk assessments? And policies? I've read threads with people saying you just update and delete, but if the child ever went to court (god forbid) wouldn't you want to say 'well my policy at the time was.... And I'd done a risk assessment'?

Finally (a bit off topic) how long for generic household stuff like bills and bank account statements (when they don't relate to self employment)? Thanks!!!!

sarah707
11-07-2013, 06:47 AM
HMRC - is it 6 or 7 years - one or t'other.

Individual stuff - obs, planning, progress monitoring, photos - goes with the child or shredded.

Your own documentation eg group planning, outdated RAs, evaluations etc - as long as it's useful - definitely between inspections as evidence.

Accident / incident / serious stuff about a child - until the child is 21 and a bit.

Ofsted certificates / insurance documents - go to the nursing home with you!

Hth :D

LittleAcornsThatcham
11-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Omg are you serious about the Ofsted certificates I binned all my out of date ones!(well shredded) and no idea about insurance.

So we keep accident forms etc, what about child info sheets? Permission forms?

Kiddleywinks
11-07-2013, 09:17 AM
If a claim was made against you in the future, your certificate would verify what your conditions were at that time (which, with the way things keep changing will be important to prove timescales) Did you not scan a copy that you could print off?

Child info (I presume you mean 'all about me') goes in the LJ normally which parents have when child leaves.
If it's the one connected with the contract, then I would keep them together, along with permission forms (again verification if needed as to what parent agreed to at the time)

I work on the basis that if it's a legal requirement, I keep it, if it's in the childs learning journey, parents get to keep it.