PDA

View Full Version : Should nursery children be formally tested? Vote now

Simona
08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Have your say and can someone please explain why we are 'obsessed' with testing children at a young age?

Should there be more formal testing of children at nursery? (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/34/should-there-be-more-formal-testing-of-children-at-nursery#.UdbSIwd5yH0.twitter)

sarah707
08-07-2013, 04:56 PM
To me - it's shocking that we should even have to ask that question :(

Tunja
08-07-2013, 05:26 PM
To me - it's shocking that we should even have to ask that question :(

Perhaps these could be part of the testing.

Can they breath, lie down, sit up, stand up or walk. To pass you must tick at least two of the options.:laughing:

caz3007
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
for goodness sake, when are they allowed to be children and play and have no cares

Koala
08-07-2013, 05:46 PM
oi!, teacher!, leave the kids alone... ......
:censored: :censored: :censored:

Simona
08-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Have no cares??? not if Gove gets his way ..this is what he wants them to go through...

BBC News - What can five-year-olds be expected to learn? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23226339)

In addition he wants children to learn fractions...looks like he has not read the EYFS either..we do fractions already don't we? when cutting fruit in 'half' and 'quarters'...
I despair of the man! wish he'd go back to journalism!

singingcactus
08-07-2013, 07:15 PM
More poor reporting. The politician is discussing regular assessment, which I don't know about you all but I certainly already do in order to keep my setting vital for each child. But the reporting would have it that the politician is talking about nursery school gcse exams.

****** stupid and irresponsible reporting as usual.

I don't like this current government or their policies, but they are making enough actual screw ups that we don't need this kind of knee jerk, drama queen reporting to make them look bad. The journos could actually report truthfully and fairly and this government would still look atrocious.

FussyElmo
08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I cant think of anything to say which doesn't involve me swearing and profusely :panic::panic::panic::panic:

The Juggler
08-07-2013, 09:17 PM
:angry::angry: :panic::panic::panic:

Stapleton83
08-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Unbelievable do they not think children are under enough pressure to perform as they go through the education system as to the desire to include fractions etc for 5 year olds well I am incredulous. No offence I have a DD who is 6 and an after schoolie both of whom are bright but I think they would struggle to get their heads around that let alone those who might find numeracy more challenging!

Can we put a test in for government ministers to see if they understand what they are doing, the sector they are impacting and whether or not they have any experience whatsoever in that arena - ooh I could be so mad :angry: Let's be fair there are plenty who would fail - perhaps we could get ministers chucked out of their positions under the definitions of the Sale of Goods Act - you can have a full refund where the goods are not fit for the purpose intended. I can think of plenty that would fit the bill.

Sam

The Juggler
08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Unbelievable do they not think children are under enough pressure to perform as they go through the education system as to the desire to include fractions etc for 5 year olds well I am incredulous. No offence I have a DD who is 6 and an after schoolie both of whom are bright but I think they would struggle to get their heads around that let alone those who might find numeracy more challenging!

Can we put a test in for government ministers to see if they understand what they are doing, the sector they are impacting and whether or not they have any experience whatsoever in that arena - ooh I could be so mad :angry: Let's be fair there are plenty who would fail - perhaps we could get ministers chucked out of their positions under the definitions of the Sale of Goods Act - you can have a full refund where the goods are not fit for the purpose intended. I can think of plenty that would fit the bill.

Sam

exactly! all government ministers should undertake exams to prove they are qualified to review and make changes to the areas they look after rather than clearly demonstrating they know absolutley diddly squat about the huge areas they are making changes to.

they want to improve unemployment figures and the economy??? not if they get their way and screw up the generation of tiddlies that are due to go into nursery in the next decade - they might as well start saving for the increased unemployment benefit claims now as ALL those kids will be so turned off learning :panic: