PDA

View Full Version : Party Etiquette

Tealady
07-07-2013, 11:05 AM
We had a family barbeque yesterday to celebrate my Mum's birthday. We provided everything although my sister bought some Diet lemonade, prawn skewers and Chicken bits. Anyway as ever, there were left overs, not tonnes as I barbeque quite a bit so am getting good at judging quantities.

Anyway home time came and sister went to the fridge, got out "her stuff" and took it home.

Am I wrong to find this a tad rude? If I ever take stuff to a party, the only thing I expect to bring home is the empty container if it's not a disposable one.

FussyElmo
07-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't bring anything home with me but I do know people who would and do :)

Nicola Carlyle
07-07-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't bring anything home either but equally. Do know a lot if people who do take their things home with them if its not eaten/drank etc. I don't see anything wrong with it as I can imagine for some they don't want to not attend a gathering empty handed but equally they think they have spent their hard earned money on the items and will take them home if not used so as not waste it, Regardless of the fact you have supplied everything else as after all that was your choice if you know what I mean. I do however think it rude to bring say two bottles of the cheapest beer going and then proceed to drink you dry of 4 bottles of wine!!! That's just down right rude! IMO! Lol

loocyloo
07-07-2013, 12:51 PM
we had a big BBQ yesterday with lots of friends ( in a field in the middle of nowhere! ) and we all took lots of bits.

I ended up taking home all my left over salad ( just lettuce/cucumber ) and other left over wilted salady bits and that went to the piggies or a friends chickens! ( it would have gone in the bin otherwise! ) I was given a bag of rolls and the left over BBQ stuff was shared out between those who wanted some! :D

but usually I only take anything home if I am asked if I want it!

Twinkling Stars
07-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I think it depends. Its better to take food home than it go to waste! :-)

Koala
07-07-2013, 02:21 PM
If the party was at your home- I do think it is rude, I would expect to take and leave whatever I had brought to the party.

If I were taking advantage of other peoples hospitality, especially in their home, I would expect that anything I brought be considered as a gift for the hosts to do with as they please, whether it be : give to their guests, eat them selves or stick it up their :censored: :D

Food, drink, flowers, gifts or balloons and trimmings it's all the same, if it's taken to the party it them belongs to the hosts.

If the party was at a function room, village hall or something similar and items were not any individuals responsibility i.e. no specific hosts and it's more of a bring along and divide then maybe everyone should take responsibility and clear away the leftovers.

Anyway it's not worth the hassle of falling out. But I do think it's a bit rude if it was at your home. :thumbsup: She came and went to the toilet I pressume and I bet she didn't take that home! :D

little chickee
07-07-2013, 06:53 PM
i do think thats rude.
If you take something to someones house for a party it either gets eaten of drank or you leave it.

Height of bad etiquette to take it home.
I used to have a friend who did exactley the same thing. She would go to my and other peoples house, she would take a bottle of wine but put it to the back of all the bottles, proceed to spend all night drinking large quantities of the hosts wine then take hers home.

Several times when her bottle had been opened but not finished she would jam the cork back in and take the remainder home - evne if it was just a glass full left!

One time she came to mine i hid her bottle. she got quite drunk on my booze and then cheerfully went to the kitchen to take her bottle home. She was not happy when she couldnt find it!!!

Koala
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
i do think thats rude.
If you take something to someones house for a party it either gets eaten of drank or you leave it.

Height of bad etiquette to take it home.
I used to have a friend who did exactley the same thing. She would go to my and other peoples house, she would take a bottle of wine but put it to the back of all the bottles, proceed to spend all night drinking large quantities of the hosts wine then take hers home.

Several times when her bottle had been opened but not finished she would jam the cork back in and take the remainder home - evne if it was just a glass full left!

One time she came to mine i hid her bottle. she got quite drunk on my booze and then cheerfully went to the kitchen to take her bottle home. She was not happy when she couldnt find it!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: you should have opened it, emptied it and filled it with something else :D :D :D

Tealady
07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the responses.

If there's tonnes left I would normally do food parcels for those who want it or offer it back. I hate waste, but to be fair there wasn't that much left.

My sister rubs me up the wrong way sometimes so I was just wondering if I was being reasonable or just letting her bug me.

Stapleton83
07-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I would say yes it was rude but you can be the bigger person and just let it wash over you. Although I have to confess if it was me I might have to make a cheeky aside next time she comes :laughing::laughing:

Sam x

The Juggler
07-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't bring anything home with me but I do know people who would and do :)

me too! what I bring to a party I leave unless the host forces me to take it away. I also know lots of people who would

Bumble Beez
08-07-2013, 05:20 AM
I personally don't take anything away...other than my drunken hubby and my 3 boys ;)
Although we once went to a BBQ and hostess was on holiday for a wk after and she pleaded with everyone to take stuff home cos it would be wasted...so I took the cake lol!!

Sarah x

CLL
08-07-2013, 06:23 AM
I have a weird group of friends and many of them have no party etiquette. It still gets on my nerves but I have come to accept it. If we invite anyone here we supply all food and no one even asks if we would like anything brought. However when invited to most of my friends houses we are told they are having a party and to bring what we would like to eat. Had a text from a friend on Friday night for example 'BBQ at mine tomorrow, bring you own drinks and burgers'!!! Even though I know my mates do this I still couldn't. Oh and they always take any booze back home from my parties. They don't even keep it in the fridge incase it goes missing. They bring it in a bag and hide it under the chair they are sitting on. Like I said weird friends with no party etiquette.