PDA

View Full Version : Parents left in limbo by childminding blunder

Simona
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
This blog has been posted on Childcare Champions

Blog | Childcare Champions (http://www.childcarechampions.com/blog/)

I contacted them this morning and explained why some cms are still waiting to be told by their LA about the 2 year old funding and also whether they will allow us to draw funding for 3 and 4 year olds
The situation is not ideal and they have responded to support those like me who are still struggling with the LAs

Childcare Champions are very supportive of cms especially those who wish to remain independent...they are opposed to agencies as they were on ratios
it is worth looking at their website and find out who they are and what they do

This is their blog:
Many local authorities are struggling to find sufficient childcare places for two year olds while in lots of areas parents are having difficulty accessing free places for their three and four year olds.

Of course the answer to this dilemma could be childminders.

But Liz Truss, the Education Minister with responsibility for early years and childcare, and the Department of Education have made a gaffe.

The current code of practice which sets out the criteria for the administration of early years funding states that only childminders who are attached to a childminding network are eligible for the funding.

However, More Great Childcare proposes that all childminders, as long as they are graded good or outstanding by Ofsted, can deliver the early years offer.

Yet local authorities are dithering because the current funding is tied to the code of practice. Some are advising childminders that they cannot place two year olds with them or point three and four year olds in their direction because councils are bound by the code of practice.

What a shambles. How can childminders be expected to run their business in this way? It’s like saying to a retailer, keep your shop open and we may have customers for you in September but can’t guarantee anything.

Of course we also know More Great Childcare advocates childminder agencies. Are the delaying tactics just a ploy to get more childminders interested in joining an agency?

The situation needs to be sorted out immediately. Good and outstanding rated childminders could provide early years places and provide an alternative offer for parents but childminders must be advised sooner rather than later if they are to sustain their businesses. 5 July 2013 (end)

sarah707
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Thank you for sharing Simona I have put the link on the FB group and I will tweet Childcare Champions later and thank them for their blog :D

Simona
05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
It would be good if cms who are experiencing problems would leave a short reply on Childcare Champions blog as I have.
They do have connections with the DfE and can raise this matter for us

sarah707
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
I was looking for somewhere to leave a reply but couldn't see how to do it??

I have tweeted them to say thank you! :D

Simona
05-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Go to the Home page and you will find the blog and there you will be able to post your reply

catswhiskers
05-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Sorry, just reviving this thread as typed in 2 year old early funding in search box.

The reason is that I've only just received a letter (well 14th December but very busy with children and xmas etc) from my LA about being able to take on 2 year olds if I want to.

I did hear things about the 2 year old early funding back in the summer but my Mum was ill with cancer and passed away very unexpectedly in August so I've not been up to things lately. With a new year, I know my Mum would have wanted me to be strong so I'm trying to get on top of things.

The scheme started in Sept 13 so it just seems very unfair that some childminders are only just receiving the information.

I know in the past that we had to part of a scheme but that doesn't apply now but only 'good' or 'outstanding' childminders will be considered.

If we sign up for the 2 year old funding then we have to also sign up for the 3/4 year funding and then the hourly rate paid by our LA is much less.

I could take on an extra 2 year old for 15 hours per week but wondered if anyone else has already and what are their experiences?

Simona
06-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Sorry, just reviving this thread as typed in 2 year old early funding in search box.

The reason is that I've only just received a letter (well 14th December but very busy with children and xmas etc) from my LA about being able to take on 2 year olds if I want to.

I did hear things about the 2 year old early funding back in the summer but my Mum was ill with cancer and passed away very unexpectedly in August so I've not been up to things lately. With a new year, I know my Mum would have wanted me to be strong so I'm trying to get on top of things.

The scheme started in Sept 13 so it just seems very unfair that some childminders are only just receiving the information.

I know in the past that we had to part of a scheme but that doesn't apply now but only 'good' or 'outstanding' childminders will be considered.

If we sign up for the 2 year old funding then we have to also sign up for the 3/4 year funding and then the hourly rate paid by our LA is much less.

I could take on an extra 2 year old for 15 hours per week but wondered if anyone else has already and what are their experiences?

As far as we know all good/outstanding CMs should be able to access funding for 2 year olds and also 3 and 4 but it looks like some LAs are just catching up which is very surprising

You are right in being worried because the funding for 3/4 drops dramatically and for CMs it is an issue of sustainability...we need to keep this issue alive at all times...it is an issue for all providers but more acute for us because we can only take 3 under 5 so much more difficult.

LAs have also been recently told by the DfE that next Sept they will only be paid by result so they now need to place all the new incoming 2 year olds...so it will be interesting to see how they cope with it as many CMs are not joining the funding for the very reason funding is inadequate.

My LA has just set up a meeting with cms to encourage them to join the scheme in Sept but at £3.50ph many are sceptical...I will go along and hear other cms' views

TooEarlyForGin?
07-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Might be slightly off course again, but I have just had a phone call my my Network Co-ordinator, who I haven't seen most of this year and had assumed had disappeared, she has sent me a load of paperwork to fill in and is going to come and do an annual review on me. I thought this had been stopped? The paperwork repeats lots of mine, including risk assessments ect.. and she has said I have to fill in their forms for their files. The paperwork is all PACEY headed, of which I am not a member.

Any Ideas?

My LA is Essex.

Simona
07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Might be slightly off course again, but I have just had a phone call my my Network Co-ordinator, who I haven't seen most of this year and had assumed had disappeared, she has sent me a load of paperwork to fill in and is going to come and do an annual review on me. I thought this had been stopped? The paperwork repeats lots of mine, including risk assessments ect.. and she has said I have to fill in their forms for their files. The paperwork is all PACEY headed, of which I am not a member.

Any Ideas?

My LA is Essex.

It sounds like your LA has continued with Pacey 'Children Come First' network model...I believe some still exist but do not know how we can find out where they are
What I am not sure about is why they are duplicating your paperwork?...pacey has welcomed the extension of funding to Good/Outstanding CMs.
if your network is still running that may mean you will get support which I suppose it is good news.
Thank you for sharing

Tazmin68
08-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Please remember that if you take on a 2 year old funded child you may have additional needs to meet and possible extra costs. I have had 2 year old funded children for the past two years. I use extra fuel in car due to picking up and dropping off children. Two of them continue to have headlice which has resulted in extra costs in treating children's hair or risk passing them onto other mindees who may be private contracts. Just a word of caution. I have permission to bath, condition and nitty gritty comb or dry comb with leave in spray conditioner and nitty gritty all this takes time.
Deb