PDA

View Full Version : Can someone advise me - how long am I required to keep information for

Donna E
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Am I required to keep assessments, observations, learning journals etc if a child is no longer under my care. Can I just give these to the parent, do I have to keep them for my own records and if so for how long?

amylouise867
03-07-2013, 11:48 PM
I think you give them to the parent and advise them to pass your LJ on to the next caregiver..... Just make sure you stress the importance to the parent that they do that.....

Sometimes they don't realise how valuable these things are.

Donna E
03-07-2013, 11:57 PM
that's what I thought. What about records I am required to keep, I have no idea how 'long' I need to keep these for?

mrs robbie williams
04-07-2013, 06:04 AM
all paperwork for children who have left your care must be kept for 21yrs 3months (i think thats right), so this is attendance records, contracts, permission forms, accident forms etc xx

sarah707
04-07-2013, 06:37 AM
As advised -

Learning Journey stuff (obs, assessments, individual planning, photos etc) are handed to parents or destroyed. It's up to parents if they want to pass them on or keep them.

Documents about things that might come back to haunt you - contract queries, accident and incident details etc - keep until the child is 21 years and 3 months old.

Parents should be informed about what you are keeping, how you will store it etc to comply with Data Protection rules.

Hth :D

Donna E
04-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Wow that is a long time. Thank you, most business are only 3-5 years. So I wouldn't have known that.