PDA

View Full Version : Worried about competition

SonnysMummy
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hello:)
I'm really worried about local competition...i was out posting my leaflets today and i found my local nursery...i knew there was one on my estate but not that close!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's literally about a 2 minute walk away and tucked away in a cul-de-sac which is why i've never seen it. The problem is there prices are lower than what i planned to charge. I've advertised loads and not got any response other than that one that never turned up!!!:mad: So i'm thinking either people don't need childcare here or this nursery is providing all they need...plus the other childminders.
What should i do? Match their prices or even go lower?! Childminders are supposed to be less expensive than nurseries aren't they? On net mums in the info on childcare for parents it says that childminders don't cost as much as nurseries.

The nursery works it all out in sessions/days and weekly fees and according to age brackets so under 2's, 2-3's and 3-5's...it doesn't offer care for over 5's but there is afew after school clubs.

I am getting desperate for some interest so i don't want people to be put off by price and think they'd rather go with the nursery!!!

venus89
08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I think that some mums prefer a nursery setting and some home based care - I'm sure somebody will need you sooner or later you just need to be patient (hard, I know).

Do you have a little one of your own you can take to mums and tots and other groups - the best advertisement for you is you. Get out there, tell people what you do, let them see how good you are.....

Oh, and I always carry business cards with me (good old Vistaprint) just in case.....

There are lots of childminders in my tiny town, and 2 preschools, but somehow it works.

Good luck with it x

Kelly
08-07-2008, 12:21 PM
You can offer flexability as well as a loving home, which parents will appreciate if that's what they're after. Have you done your research on what other childminders offer in your area? If you have, hopefully you have not priced yourself out of the market. In our area all childminders are virtualy the same price as some of the nurseries. It's about parental choice at the end of the day.

Keep advertising and good luck

Kelly

sarah707
08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I think there will always be people who do not want to send their children to nurseries...

Do you advertise your prices on your leaflets?

I wouldn't if you do - get them through the door first, then talk money if you possibly can.

You didn't say what the nursery are charging ...

But do not undercut if you are going to resent working for a pittance :(

MissTinkerbell
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
We have a nursery and a creche plus about 10 childminders in my village yet all the childminders are still quite in demand. I managed to fill my full-time space and after school ones within 2 weeks. Some parents don't want nursery care and want the flexibility and home environment that a CM can provide.

As Sarah said don't put your price in your leaflets. get them through the door first and then you can justify why you charge that amount. I charge at the top end of the range here but don't advertise that fact. On my leaflets it says 'reasonable rates' - when they get here I then say that I charge at the top rate because with my experience and qualifications I feel that I can offer much better care and opportunities than all the others. So far everyone has been agreeable and no-one has said its too much.

Go onto your local CIS site and find out what the others are charging and offering. See if you can find a 'unique selling point' too. What makes you better than everyone else?

brillminder
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
You can offer a smaller ratio with consitent staff and varied outings ,home enviroment,pets, think what you can offer more than a nursery, they often have fixed meal times, toilet times and nap times,very Young staff we're flexible but still professional, write a list about all your points for your own reference, what about friday-ads-- it hink you can put advert in there for free and yellow pages, and check out my bags on the for sale sections. Good luck, i need to start advertising as loosing 2 full timers unexpectidly, so this advice is for me too :):clapping:

SonnysMummy
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
I do understand that some parents will just prefer their child to go to a childminder than a nursery(i've worked in a nursery and i would NOT ever put my son into a nursery!!!)...although, alot of people put money first and will go with the cheapest...especially if there is cheaper childcare around the corner.
I know that i'm in line with other childminder's in my area as i've looked on the CIS website.
I've written on another thread about my fees but generally i've decided to charge £3 per hour full time and £3.50 per hour part time...and to include food in these costs as that is what every other childminder around here does.
But know i'm doubting what i've decided because of the nursery.
Here's what they do:-

£142.50 p/w under 2's
£130 p/w 2-3 year olds
£117.50 p/w 3-5 year olds

£29.50 per day under 2's
£27 per day 2-3's
£24.50 per day 3-5's

£22 per session under 2's
£20.50 per session over 2's
£19 per session over 3's

They don't cater for over 5's but they do nursery and school collecting/drop offs at all the local schools.
I've emailed them to find out if they include meals(obviously pretending i'm a parent wanting to send my child there).

I'm seriously thinking of changing my fees to sessions now.
What do you ladies suggest?

sarah707
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
The main problem with sessions is that if parents are late, you end up losing out...

Nurseries close at x time and parents know they will pay a hefty overtime rate ...

Maybe that would be one way to go?? :D

SonnysMummy
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Aren't sessions better though as in when parents just say want you 9-3...then you could lose out with not being able to fill the remaining time, but with sessions i could then charge for the full day???

Also...forgot to say...i don't put my fees on leaflets:)

Rubybubbles
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I do understand that some parents will just prefer their child to go to a childminder than a nursery(i've worked in a nursery and i would NOT ever put my son into a nursery!!!)...although, alot of people put money first and will go with the cheapest...especially if there is cheaper childcare around the corner.
I know that i'm in line with other childminder's in my area as i've looked on the CIS website.
I've written on another thread about my fees but generally i've decided to charge £3 per hour full time and £3.50 per hour part time...and to include food in these costs as that is what every other childminder around here does.
But know i'm doubting what i've decided because of the nursery.
Here's what they do:-

£142.50 p/w under 2's
£130 p/w 2-3 year olds
£117.50 p/w 3-5 year olds

£29.50 per day under 2's
£27 per day 2-3's
£24.50 per day 3-5's

£22 per session under 2's
£20.50 per session over 2's
£19 per session over 3's

They don't cater for over 5's but they do nursery and school collecting/drop offs at all the local schools.
I've emailed them to find out if they include meals(obviously pretending i'm a parent wanting to send my child there).

I'm seriously thinking of changing my fees to sessions now.
What do you ladies suggest?

when I move to Linconshire these are the fees for the local day care to me, so I'm really in the same boat, but I am going to stick with my prices:D I am currently £3.60 but am going to drop to £3 full time £3.50 part time, but I don't do food

fingers crossed it works out for you hun

SonnysMummy
10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking i'll go with...£17.50 per session(min 2 sessions per week)
£30 per day, £130 per week and £14 before and after school.

angeldelight
10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
That sounds good

Good luck

Angel xx