PDA

View Full Version : Ways of documenting Characteristics of Effective Learning

butterfly
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm sorting out Learning Journeys as after two years the kid's files have been getting a bit tatty and they are very full! I wanted to make them more organised so it would be easier for parents and Ofsted to find the different parts. I've used dividers to good effect splitting the All About Me information from their parents, their observations, their EYFS and ICAN assessments. I have also got a section for documenting their Learning Characteristics. In this I wanted to include any information regarding their schemas and information about their learning characteristics. At the moment I note any effective characteristics seen on each of their observations but I wanted to bring this together in a section as I believe it's just as important as what they learn. I just wondered if anyone had a good way of documenting this? Devon County have given us a sheet with the characteristics down one side and then 3 columns (one for each term) to write notes of what we see. I'm not sure that this sheet particularly works though as the space to write is pretty small. Maybe I should make myself a sheet per term and make notes against the characteristics. Does anyone do this or something different?

Wheelybug
01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I use Orbit and they have added the developmental matters, making it really easy to link them in if applicable.

Cathy.

sarah707
01-07-2013, 06:27 PM
There is some information here -

The Characteristics of Effective Learning (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/characteristicsofeffectivelearning.html)

I note them over a period of time - they are not going to change very much - they are the child's learning styles and dispositions to learn :D

Bumble Beez
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
There is some information here -

The Characteristics of Effective Learning (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/characteristicsofeffectivelearning.html)

I note them over a period of time - they are not going to change very much - they are the child's learning styles and dispositions to learn :D

Awesome link and info again...thanks Sarah!
Sarah x

Kirstylob
31-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Printed and laminated, Thank you!

wellybelly
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM

I found this, I like the statements but don't like the bit at the bottom about terms.

loocyloo
01-08-2013, 07:59 AM

I found this, I like the statements but don't like the bit at the bottom about terms.

thank you ... I agree with you about the bit at the bottom about terms - its not as if a child is going to work their way through the coel and at the end of a school year displayed all ways of learning!

sarah707
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
You are right - the characteristics are NOT goals or outcomes.

You can support a child to, for example, concentrate better through gentle teaching but they will probably always be a bit of a flippetygibbet if that's their nature :D

miffy
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Thank you - I like that too but not the bit about the terms.

Miffy xx

Simona
04-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Very useful indeed...I agree with Sarah on the CoEL...they are really a child learning style, can be linked to the Leuvres (spelling?) scales too and the Effective Early Learning (EEL) project which came before EPPE

They are easy to capture in photos.....I put photos in the LJ then comment and link to CoEL...works for me ..will Ofsted approve?
Million dollar question!!!