PDA

View Full Version : Govt sidelining development matters

lisbet
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm so saddened by this, but thought it was just a matter of time. :panic:

Question mark over future of Development Matters guidance | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1188451/question-mark-future-development-matters-guidance?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin)

Unless they come up with something more child-centred *insert flying pig smiley* then I shall carry on using DM and face the wrath of Ofsted. :mad:

watgem
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
:(:(:( this is so short sighted, especially as the EYFS profiles have been steadily improving

hectors house
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I don't think I can cope with anything else - since I registered 8 years ago, I have had to learn the 7 C's (communication, co-operation, co-ordination, concentration, creativity, competence, plus another I have forgotten), then for my Developing and Extending Childminding Practice, had to learn all about SPICE (social, physical, interlectual, communication and emotional), then we had to learn all about Birth to 3 Matters - crawlers, walkers, sitters etc
then original EYFS and then revised EYFS. I am sure this is all just a game to see how much :censored: us childminders can take - well I am close to throwing the towel in now!

The Juggler
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
exactly what early years knowledge does mr wilshaw have.

have this government gone completely insane. they are wanting EY children to be linked into Key stage assessments. doesn't he know that without quality play provision in early years THEY WILL NEVER ACHIEVE ANY KEY STAGE TARGETS AS THEY WILL BE SO TURNED OFF LEARNING.

I actually find this really upsetting and quite scary that both ofsted and the government are prepared to ignore so many academics who know better :panic:

AgentTink
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
this is not good at all. I really despair for the future children of this world. When they talk about "there is no accountability" they are forgetting that all children are unique and learning and develop very different to each other.

Just my thoughts but i can envisage a move to ticksheets and I can see a very strict deadline on when a child can do certain things, and if a child in your care cant do it then you be downgraded :panic:

rickysmiths
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think I can cope with anything else - since I registered 8 years ago, I have had to learn the 7 C's (communication, co-operation, co-ordination, concentration, creativity, competence, plus another I have forgotten), then for my Developing and Extending Childminding Practice, had to learn all about SPICE (social, physical, interlectual, communication and emotional), then we had to learn all about Birth to 3 Matters - crawlers, walkers, sitters etc
then original EYFS and then revised EYFS. I am sure this is all just a game to see how much :censored: us childminders can take - well I am close to throwing the towel in now!

It is sadly what they have been doing to Teachers for the last 25 years since the National Curriculum came to be, they have to keep fiddling and messing with it, same with GCSEs and 'A' Levels. Is it a wonder all Teachers and children are frazzled wrecks these days?

Once Ofsted took us over it was inevitable that there would be regular changes. After all they have to so they can prove they are actually doing something. Just wait until we have Agencies putting their oar in as well. God help us all. I have started buying lottery tickets again!

Simona
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Why has the non statutory guidance been taken off?

Question mark over future of Development Matters guidance | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1188451/question-mark-future-development-matters-guidance?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin)

sarah707
01-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Very worrying... :(

rickysmiths
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I must say I find it very worrying that they don't inform all those thousands of people who use it on a daily basis including Teachers. What about all those new practitioner's who are just starting out?

However there is still a copy here if anyone needs it.

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Development-Matters-FINAL-PRINT-AMENDED.pdf

tori4
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
What ever next !!!!

lizann
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
dont know if am coming or going 110% fed up with it all now !!!!!:

SammySplodger
01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
This is terrible... :-((

I am considering rebelling, ie: doing what I believe to be right (learning through play) and communicating this to parents. If it means I don't get a good grade in future, so be it. They are WRONG.

justgoodfriends
01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
All that's happened is that it's been moved to the www.gov.uk website along with lots of other info that was on the department of education website - they want to have everything in one place!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/development-matters

TooEarlyForGin?
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
God help all the poor children that are raised by their .............shock horror.......... parents.........

Barking, absolutely barking, cant type any more for fear of swearing.

Rubybubbles
01-07-2013, 08:57 PM
All that's happened is that it's been moved to the www.gov.uk website along with lots of other info that was on the department of education website - they want to have everything in one place!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/development-matters

At last someone with sense not to panic xx

SammySplodger
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
At last someone with sense not to panic xx

I'm glad that's all it is...
So why the Nursery World article?

Trouble is, we have been so badly treated of late that we suspect the worst. I don't think you can blame anyone for panicking tbh. I wouldn't put anything past Wilshaw, Gove & Truss.

lisbet
01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
If it's just a case of moving it, that's great news. I hope they move the other stuff too, like the Statutory Framework and the Know How for the 2yr check, because until then someone going to the Department for Education website wanting to find out about the EYFS won't know that DM is part of the package. Would have been good if they could have just put in a signpost to its new location in the meantime.

Still find it worrying that Nursery World reports that "the Standards and Testing Agency (STA) has been told not to use Development Matters in future EYFS Profile guidance and that local authority moderators have also been told not to use it."

Simona
02-07-2013, 06:51 AM
The move from the DfE website to the new www.gov.uk happened a while back
If we are troubled by the article and not sure what to do best thing to do is ring NW and ask for clarification
The DM is available on that website but a cost while still downloadable

when I got back yesterday it is the topic everyone was talking about on twitter...so maybe there is some truth in it?? better check it out

I am reliably told this issue is linked to Truss' speech at the NWorld conference of 19 April

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/elizabeth-truss-speaks-about-2-year-olds-policy-and-practice

justgoodfriends
02-07-2013, 07:17 AM
The move from the DfE website to the new www.gov.uk happened a while back
If we are troubled by the article and not sure what to do best thing to do is ring NW and ask for clarification
The DM is available on that website but a cost while still downloadable

when I got back yesterday it is the topic everyone was talking about on twitter...so maybe there is some truth in it?? better check it out

I am reliably told this issue is linked to Truss' speech at the NWorld conference of 19 April

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/elizabeth-truss-speaks-about-2-year-olds-policy-and-practice

I can't see any evidence in that speech to suggest that DM will be scrapped altogether? But I do think it could be a good thing if it is side lined somewhat... as LT says it is non-statutory anyway and I think some practitioners rely too much on the statements to link with observations rather than using their initiative and judgement of a child's development and interests to find the 'next steps' within the general area of learning.

lisbet
02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I can't see any evidence in that speech to suggest that DM will be scrapped altogether? But I do think it could be a good thing if it is side lined somewhat... as LT says it is non-statutory anyway and I think some practitioners rely too much on the statements to link with observations rather than using their initiative and judgement of a child's development and interests to find the 'next steps' within the general area of learning.

I completely agree with you on that. At the same time, combined with

* what Truss has been saying about French-style adult-led structured group activities for 2yr olds
* what Wilshaw has been saying about early years
* the fact that the new EYE/ EYT qualifications do not include studying how children learn through play

then I am worried that they DO plan to disappear DM and replace it with guidance that promotes more structured, formal, developmentally inappropriate teaching of very young children.:(

sarah707
02-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I completely agree with you on that. At the same time, combined with

* what Truss has been saying about French-style adult-led structured group activities for 2yr olds
* what Wilshaw has been saying about early years
* the fact that the new EYE/ EYT qualifications do not include studying how children learn through play

then I am worried that they DO plan to disappear DM and replace it with guidance that promotes more structured, formal, developmentally inappropriate teaching of very young children.:(

This is my worry as well. I really hope I am wrong :(