PDA

View Full Version : WHAT PLAYGROUND GAMES DO YOU REMEMBER?

angeldelight
01-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Do you remember what games you played on the playground ?

Or with your friends after school?

When summer holidays were hot and went on for ever?

Over to you lot .....

Angel xxx

FussyElmo
01-07-2013, 06:37 AM
British bull dog
Rally-ango
Kirby

There were probably loads that I cant remember the names off.

I remember spending hours if not all day outside on bikes etc etc

angeldelight
01-07-2013, 06:43 AM
British bull dog
Rally-ango
Kirby

Do you remember something with elastic ...using your arms or feet I think ?

Angel xx

angeldelight
01-07-2013, 06:44 AM
British bull dog
Rally-ango
Kirby

Oh and what's Rally-ango?

:laughing:

Xxx

FussyElmo
01-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Xxx

Two teams and you held hands and the opposition had to run and break through the chain of hands :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
01-07-2013, 06:51 AM

Xxx

Or it might have been called red rover :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Opps a little bit wrong there I blame (((insert whatever excuse you want)))

List of traditional children's games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traditional_children's_games)

hectors house
01-07-2013, 06:55 AM

Angel xx

We had a big loop of elastic - 2 people stood opposite each other with elastic round their ankles - another person had to jump inside the elastic and do some fancy jumping (bit like skipping steps) over one or both sides of the elastic - then the people on the ends moved it up to knees, waist, under arms, neck and the person doing the jumping had to repeat at each level until couldn't jump the elastic any more. Bit like skipping crossed with high jump!

Also used to ruin my school shoes kneeling down playing Jacks, also loved all the 2 ball songs (but can't remember any now)

Kiss Chase was always popular at first school!

singingcactus
01-07-2013, 07:20 AM
We used to play pennies, jacks, bottle caps and marbles. Lots of the girls used to play elastic and skipping games, just never saw the fun of it myself.
I have a brilliant little book upstairs called games with things. It is full of all the playground/street corner games and local variations throughout history.

Nicola Carlyle
01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Two teams and you held hands and the opposition had to run and break through the chain of hands :thumbsup:

This was called red rover where I come from lol!

WibbleWobble
01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
One Potato, Two Potato (1957) - extract - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DrGijdmBqU)

Iona Opie and her husband studied children's playground games and recorded them for posterity, the video above is an example of what i played in the 1960s and 1970s in manchester. Even though the war had been over for nearly 20 years the landscape was still scarred by bombsites or "bonties" as we called them. They had huge craters in and these would fill with water and become fab places to sail an old door on.....with us on top!

when i was 7 we moved out of manchester to a tiny village near chester and my play changed dramatically....instead of the streets to play in i had fields. was fantastic....

wibble x

angeldelight
01-07-2013, 08:06 AM
This was called red rover where I come from lol!

We played this but it was not called what you and fussy said :laughing:

Angel xx

tulip0803
01-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Sinking mud
Wall-tree home
Sticky toffee
British bulldog
Duck, duck goose
Cats cradle
Skipping
and French skipping with elastic

chriss
01-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Angel xx

Elastic ? Yeh we played that. Two would stand opposite eachother and start with elastic round their ankles, and the other kids would jump over it. Then the elastic was moved to round the calves, knees, waist, and all the way up to the shoulders, with the kids jumping over it.
My friend could jump really high...I was a bit rubbish lol

Also kirby, rounders in the street, and loved 2 bally !!:D Fond memories

angeldelight
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Elastic ? Yeh we played that. Two would stand opposite eachother and start with elastic round their ankles, and the other kids would jump over it. Then the elastic was moved to round the calves, knees, waist, and all the way up to the shoulders, with the kids jumping over it.
My friend could jump really high...I was a bit rubbish lol

Also kirby, rounders in the street, and loved 2 bally !!:D Fond memories

Yes that's it ha :laughing:

I was rubbish too ha

Angel xxx

angeldelight
01-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Sinking mud
Wall-tree home
Sticky toffee
British bulldog
Duck, duck goose
Cats cradle
Skipping
and French skipping with elastic

What is ...
Sticky toffee?
Duck,duck goose?

Angel xxx

FussyElmo
01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Stuck in mud.

Duck duck goose - I know that one I think. Is it when everyone is in a circle and one goes round saying duck duck and whoever is the goose has to get up and try and catch them?

tulip0803
01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
What is ...
Sticky toffee?
Duck,duck goose?

Angel xxx

Sticky toffee - Game of chase but when you catch someone they have to hold on so you end up with a big long line of children running round all holding hands. Stuck like toffee.

Duck, duck goose - what Fussy says.

Daisy De
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Used to play Elastics a lot and Bulldog although I don't think that is what we called it and it was a bit rough for me anyway. Also hopscotch and lots of imaginary games, I spent my childhood riding invisible horses :)

We played Sticky Glue as well which was a game of chase and when the person who was "it" caught you, you had to stand like a star arms and legs stretched out. One of the other players who were not "stuck" could free you by crawling through your legs.

Another one was Hot Chocolate, no idea why it was called that but one person stood at the front looking away from the rest and everyone else had to creep up on the first person and freeze when they turned round periodically. If the front person saw you moving you had to go back to the start.

Played a similar one where the front person called out letters and if you had them in your name, including middle name I remember, you moved forward steps according to how many of that letter you had. First person to reach the caller won. Not good if you had a short name and now I think about it very open to cheating if you were the caller, strange how your friend always won! That has only just occurred to me after all this time :laughing:

singingcactus
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
One Potato, Two Potato (1957) - extract - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DrGijdmBqU)

Iona Opie and her husband studied children's playground games and recorded them for posterity, the video above is an example of what i played in the 1960s and 1970s in manchester. Even though the war had been over for nearly 20 years the landscape was still scarred by bombsites or "bonties" as we called them. They had huge craters in and these would fill with water and become fab places to sail an old door on.....with us on top!

when i was 7 we moved out of manchester to a tiny village near chester and my play changed dramatically....instead of the streets to play in i had fields. was fantastic....

wibble x

This is who wrote the book I have :) It is worth the price, loads of ideas for school age kids. They love the simplicity of our childhood games, and I love that many of them have math, rhyming aspects to them.

Tealady
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
We used to play lots of the above but Red Rover, British Bulldog, Elastics and marbles was often banned from time to time at our school due to somebody breaking a limb. The ban never lasted long though. Always forgotten after the cast came off and we'd had a term holiday.

We had a load of waste over the back of our houses so we used to build dens and stay out for hours.

SYLVIA
01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
French Elastic,
Skipping,
What's the time Mr.Wolf
52 Bunker (hide and Seek)
Playing in the woods and climbing trees
5 stones
Two balls against the wall
A ball in a stocking that you hit against a wall then under your leg, whilst reciting some song or rhyme
Playing in our summer house where we used to keep our sweets and cakes. We used to buy sixpence worth of stale cakes which were only the day befores, and they were lovely.
Oh to be young again when all the worries were your mum and dads and dinner was cooked for you every night!

clareelizabeth1
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
We used to play all of those games as well as

Spin the bottle
Made catapults and the. Had shooting games
Cats cradle
Had a giant chess set too although no one knew how to play so we just played checkers.

cathtee
01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I remember elastics, I loved it until I jumped up heels up behind me and kicked someone in the mouth blood everywhere:blush: she
forgave me luckily not sure if I played again after that, I was about 8 at the time.

charleyfarley
01-07-2013, 06:23 PM
We played elastics, skipping with 2 ropes, Bulldog, what's the time Mr Wolf, the two balls against the wall and of course kiss chase :blush:

Carol xx

Mrs Scrubbit
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Jacks, dibs, french skipping and pick-up sticks....... oh happy carefree days xx

bindy
01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Elastics, two balls, hopscotch, marbles, conkers, kick the can, something I think called clackers, a stick with two ball on the end of string, we used to hit the balls together, a tight with a ball inside, skipping with a rope, two people held each end while one jumped inside! Many other games that involved sing, rhymes, sticking in feet or fists to do one potato two potato three potato more! see who was on!! Memories!!