PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information with parents

sarahb1985
30-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I've only recently got all of my paperwork sorted to how I feel it works for me. I'm just wondering how/how often everyone shares observations,learning journals, planning etc with parents. Should I be emailing/ printing copies for parents? Also both sets of parents don't seem interested in writing notes/information in the daily diary, how will I show we communicate well to OFSTED if it's all in person when they pick their children up?! Thanks in advance

CLL
01-07-2013, 06:07 AM
I have just had my first graded Ofsted and she liked what I did. 1. Daily diaries parents didn't write much in mine either. 2. Parent review meetings every 3 months, on the back of this I wrote a summary of how it went, what we discussed, what I was going to do here and what parents would do at home. (She loved this). 3. I also track the child's learning and development which is all colour coded and I show it to parents. 4. Parents views via a questionnaire (loved this). 5. Parents written references to her which she read on the day. 6. All about me form and child record forms. 7. Learning journal and observations. 8. Any notes parents had written about the care they wanted. 9. Emails and texts to parents giving them wow moment updates. The main thing she will be looking for is how you are helping parents to educate their child at home. What are you providing to help them? So meet with them, hold a review of their child's progress, discuss what you are going to do and make suggestions to parents, then write it all down. Also set up a mini toy library where you lend patents toys from your home which they can use.

sarah707
01-07-2013, 06:56 AM
whether parents want to engage or not, it is really important that you keep up a constant information stream like CLL says.

Lots of visual stuff - display your newsletters, routine, planning, children's pictures and crafts etc - they are usually interested if it's about their child so lots of personalised information too :D

Bumble Beez
07-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I use daily diaries however don't seem to get much back from parents...I find I get more from the 5 minute chats when parents drop off and collect!
I send home LJ's every few months which seems to be about right and occasionally have parents who contribute...I do try tho but parents don't always want to be that involved :(
As long as you can show ofsted that you're trying that should be enough

Sarah x

FussyElmo
07-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I use daily diaries however don't seem to get much back from parents...I find I get more from the 5 minute chats when parents drop off and collect!
I send home LJ's every few months which seems to be about right and occasionally have parents who contribute...I do try tho but parents don't always want to be that involved :(
As long as you can show ofsted that you're trying that should be enough

Sarah x

If my parents tell me anything interesting at the weekend I write that down. So I know they are at the seaside and he enjoyed making sandcastles that becomes my planning following information at home :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter how communicate just that we do :D