PDA

View Full Version : When would you give up a dangerous hobby?

Becci26
30-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Have just posted this on FB and thought I would pose the question here...

Just wondering everyone's views on this...
If your hobby was classed as a dangerous sport, you really enjoyed it but you risked your life at what point what you say enough is enough?
Would it be if you had a family? If you had cheated death (perhaps more than once!)? When it had an impact on others? Or simply when you got too old to enjoy it?

An FB friend has just had yet another accident doing motorcross and this time has broken his pelvis, whilst I feel sad for him I have found myself feeling quite frustrated by it - this chap has a young family, and I can't help but wonder why on earth he is risking his life week in week out. (Last year he had a very serious accident and was very lucky to survive!) :panic:

angeldelight
30-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I've never been in that position so I'm not sure

I do think some live off the excitement that they get from danger

What do his family think of it

I'm a wimp so I couldn't put myself in danger in that way :laughing:

Angel xxx

Roseolivia
30-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I ski which is classes as a dangerous sport. I'd never give it up unless I was physically incapable of doing it. I have only ski 'id for 4yrs but love it, it's our annual holiday. Rose started ski'ing last year and Alfie is going to have lessons this year. I think really dangerous sports i'd probably give up when I had kids.

CH1957
30-06-2013, 01:12 PM
My brother has always raced motorbikes (been British Grass Track Champion) but recently gave it up as he says he doesn't heal so quickly nowadays! He's 54. :D

WibbleWobble
30-06-2013, 01:17 PM
i cannot comment

i ride a 1000cc motorbike

wibble knievel x

Koala
30-06-2013, 01:32 PM
My outlook on life is, live for today and let tomorrow look after itself, let other people look after themselves and live your life how you want to, it's your life and to live it for others is wrong!

It's a cruel world, crap finds it's way to your door no matter what and when it does our loved ones are there to pick up the pieces and vice versa.

Having said that, I understand your frustration but keep it to yourself and don't judge others. :thumbsup: I am sure it's only because you care but It will only lead to trouble. :panic:

Becci26
30-06-2013, 02:01 PM
My outlook on life is, live for today and let tomorrow look after itself, let other people look after themselves and live your life how you want to, it's your life and to live it for others is wrong!

It's a cruel world, crap finds it's way to your door no matter what and when it does our loved ones are there to pick up the pieces and vice versa.

Having said that, I understand your frustration but keep it to yourself and don't judge others. :thumbsup: I am sure it's only because you care but It will only lead to trouble. :panic:

I realise everyone is entitled to live how they want to live and each to their own, I am just interested in other people's perspectives on the situation. What motivates one person is very different to another...

I try not to judge others and it is of course entirely up to this chap what he does with his life, but we are all entitled to our opinion.
I would not say anything to the him it his family, after all it actually has nothing to do with me and does not directly affect me in the slightest.

Ps Wibble its not the riding a bike that's bothered me, more the sport of motorcross as that seems more dangerous to me x

jillplum
30-06-2013, 02:27 PM
I gave up smoking and other dangerous activities when I became a single parent. Especially when away on holiday I became very careful avout avoiding injury as there was no one else there to look after the children if I was ill or injured. I let the children do anyhtinh tho as I could look after them if they were in hospital or broke bones etc.

FussyElmo
30-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Dh plays rugby and I let him. Had some silly injuries soft tissue damage to his back, a lovely nose injury. Still let him play though just there is a little rule in place now if hes babdly injured he has to move back in with his dad :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ripeberry
30-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I would love to ride a motorcycle. But I'm waiting until my kids are older. But I might take the tests first and then buy myself a decent bike maybe in my 50s. Failing that I want a sports car. ;-)

cathtee
30-06-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm too much of a wuss to do anything dangerous, dh played rugby as a teenager giving up before we married, he got hurt while playing he was vertually folded in half whele sat on field he was lucky he didn't break his back and suffers for it now, so made right decission, but I think if I did do anything dangerous I probably would have given up when children came along. But each to their own

Bumble Beez
30-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I ride a Honda blade and although I love my bike I really cannot put my hobby before my littlies.

Sarah x