PDA

View Full Version : UKCMA feedback on their meeting with Lord Storey

Simona
28-06-2013, 09:34 PM
This is a very short feedback from the meeting UKCMA had with Lord Storey about agencies this week

Sorry to say I expected a bit more that this very short comment...what was discussed, what did the Lord say?
They say they will support independent cms...how ? what is the alternative proposed if any?
A bit disappointed but maybe you can add your comment

All Change? Make sure you have your say | UKCMA (http://*************/have-your-say/#.Uc3_wMdwbct)

miffy
28-06-2013, 09:45 PM
It doesn't say a lot does it.

If this was an organisation I was thinking would represent me I would not be very impressed. At the very least I would have expected some feedback on whatever was discussed at the meeting

Miffy xx

Simona
29-06-2013, 07:24 AM
They say the bill had been passed by the House of Commons ...yes that it true we already knew that
I also read Lord Storey was not aware that cms are inspected...or something similar?
If that is so what can he do to help when inspections are the very core reason we do not want agencies because we want to retain them??

so that makes me wonder why he wanted a meeting in the first place...
The pilots will start Sept 2013 until end of the year...those piloting wll be known and that means we will know which LAs are going to be setting up agencies...
I am not sure at this stage how will they will be piloting 'support for cms' when there are no cms registered yet with them?

We also know that after that there will be a consultation on agencies and also one on the inspection framework

When that consultation comes out we will have to really get heard and lobby associations and other providers, as many as possible to respond to...this is when the rest of the workforce will show their true colours by responding against the proposals

The MAIN aim is to stop any cms running into the arms of an agency because they can talk themselves into it
Joining an agency is DEREGULATION

We need to keep the debate in the open as much as possible and not just on Facebook
We also need to keep asking the LAs so they do not consider running an agency.
Yes they know us best and yes they can support us...but they should have done that all along not now because they scared for their jobs and cms will be paying them???
They will not disappear but they are aware their funding is going to be cut

As Sarah has said many cms are apprehensive of inspections and that could be a reason for them to join an agency
We need to tackle that too, reassure cms and give as much support as possible

UKCMA promise to support cms ..how?
What I want to know is how many cms are their members? does anyone know?
is anyone a member?

Celyn
29-06-2013, 08:31 AM
I don't understand why you say it's a facebook campaign.
The collation of reports, petition, blogs is web-based:

Http://Www.******************.com

Welcome to all.

Simona
29-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Sorry I did not mean it is all Facebook based...but a lot happens there and many cms are not on Facebook

What I mean is an open discussion will involve ALL in the sector...I am not sure how Facebook works but I feel it is 'closed' and only for those invited in the page or so I understand...so it is not possible to read because it is not a public forum...does that explain it?

Not sure which website you have posted but this campaign cannot be based in one website...this forum and my focus group also collate all the information, the more places the info is available the more cms are bound to be aware.

Simona
29-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I would say I am very well informed ...or as informed as I can be and do so by looking at lots of sources of information

Take a look at my focus group and also the information I share here in this forum
I am also aware at the source of information you mention below..it is one of many and all contribute to keeping cms updated!

Sorry it is not my forum and I cannot comment on that ...there is little missing here and I find it useful and would not say I am lacking from infor sharing in this forum

Celyn
29-06-2013, 09:05 AM
You really should all be talking to each other, communicating and sharing the information.

It is this ringfenced "well MY forum is the one that people should be using" attitude that is preventing all childminders from getting the message.

A lot of childminders ARE on Facebook and no-where else. That's why the campaign is also on there - so they can be reached. Nothing to do with it being closed.

Kiddleywinks
29-06-2013, 09:09 AM
We fight every working day to be taken seriously and not be viewed as glorified babysitters, so to be honest, I can't say I am all that surprised that Lord Storey had so little knowledge of our current involvement with Ofsted, not many politicians understand how childminders actually work including ET who is quite happily making decisions about things she has little knowledge or understanding of.

Highlighting this information that the Lords, and politicians, are not aware of should be a priority now, maybe focus on informing as many influential people as possible of 'a day in the life of a childminder'

We should all be working together on this, I for one am fed up of 'internal politics' from all directions when this is a subject so strongly felt about.

'The pilots will start Sept 2013 until end of the year...those piloting wll be known and that means we will know which LAs are going to be setting up agencies...
I am not sure at this stage how will they will be piloting 'support for cms' when there are no cms registered yet with them?'

There are no cms that we are aware of - doesn't mean there aren't some that aren't signed up.... Maybe fearing the backlash if they reveal themselves which isn't right either

Celyn
29-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm sure you are well-informed. We need to ensure that EVERYONE is well informed.

If that involves opening up the campaign on Facebook and other social media sites, I really don't see why there should be criticism of that.

Celyn
29-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Well said, Kidleywinks!!!

Simona
29-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Facebook is not to everyone's taste...I am not there and do not intend to go as I have all the info I need in the open forums including this one.

As for talking to each other ...we certainly are and cms are free to use whichever medium they find most suitable to them
Many cms are in every forum they can get into while others focus on a few...personal choice and it does not mean they lose on information

I can be accused of anything but not of 'not sharing' or 'not talking' to others...I do and do so with as many as I can reach...I am not omnipresent but do my best as do all other cms in their own way
Every effort matters...however small

Kiddleywinks
29-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Facebook is not to everyone's taste...I am not there and do not intend to go as I have all the info I need in the open forums including this one.

As for talking to each other ...we certainly are and cms are free to use whichever medium they find most suitable to them
Many cms are in every forum they can get into while others focus on a few...personal choice and it does not mean they lose on information

I can be accused of anything but not of 'not sharing' or 'not talking' to others...I do and do so with as many as I can reach...I am not omnipresent but do my best as do all other cms in their own way
Every effort matters...however small

You definately could never be accused of not sharing :thumbsup::laughing: (and it is very much appreciated)

marie55
29-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I belong to 6 Facebook childminder groups all are sharing petitions and blogs to raise awareness and keep people informed. I think a full feedback is on UKCMA but for members only, I could be wrong as I'm not a member. A lot of childminders who were not aware of what is going on re agencies etc have benefitted from being part of a SHARED childminding community.
It's important we work together on this, we all want the same thing 'Better outcomes for all children and our business' A part of the blog which stood out for me is this statement:

And so moving forward and bearing in mind the suggestions made by Lord Storey – Can we come together as a sector? Can we work together on a action plan – each playing our own part but joined together by a action plan? Can people put aside the fact that they belong to or work for different organisations? Can people forget historical and personal reasons why have not worked together before? Can people say I believe this to be so important it does not matter what others say or think – I am not a sheep- I am an individual and so I am going to follow my own beliefs and principles and not wait for others to do something first?

Kiddleywinks
29-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Sarah was trying to get the feedback from UKCMA yesterday

I would have hoped that as the views they received, about 100, were from members and non members alike, the feedback would be made accessible to all asap.

Simona
29-06-2013, 09:25 AM
We can only try to inform ALL and make that information as available as possible through as many channels as possible

Many cms are NOT interested and eventually they will have to face whatever is coming and catch up on an awful lot

Kiddlywinks ...you are right, we do not know if some cms are already registered with the piloting agencies...if they are they would be guinea pigs maybe?...more reason to question the LAs
Wish I could be part of their pilots (as long as I could keep my registration and inspection!!)

And you are right about internal politics...they do not matter ...what matters is talking to policy makers and those who will represent us on this issue

I have a couple of meetings up my sleeve next week...so keep tuned and read when I am able to share...I appreciate your support

The statement quoted below reflects exactly what we are doing...we have a plan, we are sharing, we are asking associations to represent us, we are supporting cms, we are making cms aware of agencies and...soon of the consultation
And all done via different media...the more out there the more it will reach all cms.

Celyn
29-06-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm not accusing you of anything - my God you can be so prickly!!

OK, so you don't go on Facebook. Nor do I much.

That's no reason not to keep the childminders who DO use it informed.

angeldelight
29-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Hey

Just arrived here to see this

Calm down everyone

Give me a second to read what's going on here

In the meantime everyone calm down here please

Anyone can contact myself or the other mods at any time

Angel xxx

marie55
29-06-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm calm Angel, like the Cadbury's chocolate bunny :) I'm 60 with very high bp I can't afford to be otherwise lol xx

Kiddleywinks
29-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Agencies are an emotional subject :laughing::laughing:

Simona
29-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Please can we stop saying: calm down...this is a discussion and that is what a forum is about...sharing and expressing opinions which must be respected

I never said cms should not go on Facebook...I said many do not use it and, in my personal view, not the best medium to use
What I feel you are saying is that all should be on one website...well cms can go there if they want
My choice of sharing and talking to others is not a 'prickly' matter..it is my right to do as I feel best

angeldelight
29-06-2013, 09:49 AM
We understand your all adults

You can all have your say too

I only meant calm down hold fire ...while I caught up with this thread

It's Saturday ...the weekend and I get reports of members being upset

Calm down was not aimed at anyone in particular Simona

Grrrrr

Angel xxx

Smiley
29-06-2013, 09:52 AM
The informative feedback from the meeting with Lord Storey is on Penny's blog (please do not delete this because I mentioned her name!) lord Storey has suggested the sector needs to come together on this and of course we all are trying to achieve the same goal. This forum is extremely popular with childminders and promoted widely, it is a shame that when members of this form are asking where they can find more information posts that signpost them to certain ones are 'not allowed' to be shared :(

Celyn
29-06-2013, 10:02 AM
But Simona, surely any media that gets the message out there is good.

Childminders use so many different forums and boards, we really need to increase our presence, not shut it down.
You can't control that. People will stay with what's comfortable to them - it's up to those of us who do use yours and Penny's sites for information to go out and tell them.

At the moment, I think we should be starting up debate on the sites like Netmums and Mumsnet. We need to get parents and other childcare professionals involved. Many seem to think it was all over when the ratios were scrapped. Personally, I don't believe we've seen the end of even that debate.

Simona
29-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Sorry Angel I know you were not directing this at me in particular

Smiley...that website is available for all to see and connect to if they wish
I have seen the feedback and that is why I said we are ALL doing what the Lord suggested but I am disappointed UKCMA did a very short feedback which I linked here at the start

If this forum does not allow a link to the website that has to be respected...we can still get there if we want

The sector will come together when the consultation is out on agencies...from what Sue Gregory said and all the other big chiefs in Ofsted I questioned at various conferences that is not now but in the near future...then we can call the sector to support but it does not mean that there is no campaign going on
What can they do now that they have not already done?

At the PLA conference I was taken aback from the opposition to agencies from preschools...they were shouting at Ofsted and the woman had to tell them to 'calm down' as she gathered feelings were high
At the conference in London it was Kidsunlimited that put a question to Ofsted on agencies...and she was very blunt telling Ofsted they are not needed

So we have support but we maybe be under shock because of the news the LAs are piloting agencies...that is what gets my blood pressure up and I know many cms will question them as I have mine

sarah707
29-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Sarah was trying to get the feedback from UKCMA yesterday

I would have hoped that as the views they received, about 100, were from members and non members alike, the feedback would be made accessible to all asap.

I haven't been informed about any feedback from UKCMA yet Kiddleywinks - I did ask them to let me know when it was published.

I am not at home so I don't have all my log ins - but I would be surprised if they have put it in their member area when, as you say, comments were submitted by members and non members.

I would have expected an email alerting everyone to feedback on such an important subject as well.

I'll do some more checking when I get home later x

Simona
29-06-2013, 10:24 AM
UKCMA have fedback and it is on their website ...I picked it up on Twitter and posted it for all to see...as I said it is very short but more info is available to those who want to look for it.
UKCMA do not appear to have a forum for members unless I have missed it?

marie55
29-06-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't understand why you say it's a facebook campaign.
The collation of reports, petition, blogs is web-based:

Http://Www.******************.com

Welcome to all.

How can childminders get information from various sources when links are starred out as in this helpful post?

Celyn
29-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I had no idea about Simona's site - I'm not often on here, either, these days - although I'll certainly take a look.

I did find my information on Penny's site. That's what I'm saying - we won't get the message to as many as we can by sticking to one place.

sarah707
29-06-2013, 10:43 AM
The forum is working very hard to ensure all childminders are fully supported through the changes that are coming - childminders who want to belong to agencies and childminders who want to stay independent are equally welcome here.

The forum is against agencies - yes of course it is - it sees absolutely no benefit whatsoever in childminders paying a percentage of their income to an agency!

But agencies are already here - they are going ahead - it is our job to make sure childminders are fully informed and aware of their options.

For childminders who want to stay independent, as well as the forum itself, we have added a new website and a new Facebook page. This is part of the forum's commitment to reaching out to all childminders, whatever their chosen medium.

When UKCMA publishes their (hopefully more detailed) feedback we will let you all know - as I promised yesterday.

Please respect the fact that we are all looking towards the future in different ways.

Thank you :D

sarah707
29-06-2013, 10:44 AM
UKCMA have fedback and it is on their website ...I picked it up on Twitter and posted it for all to see...as I said it is very short but more info is available to those who want to look for it.
UKCMA do not appear to have a forum for members unless I have missed it?

They don't have a forum - but they do have a member section - I'm not at home so I can't log in and check. I will look later and get back to you x

Simona
29-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Thank you Sarah
What I have read is enough ...if there is further input and you feel like sharing that is fine too.
My understanding is that both cms members and non members were invited to input ideas so any feedback should be available to all...but it really does not matter to me as I have responded to their tweet