PDA

View Full Version : How long?

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Just out if interest really...

As I know this will vary quite alot...

How long was it before you got your first child??

And when parents came to view your home and meet you how did that go?? How long did they stay??

Did you have any 'time wasters'?

Be interested to hear your stories :)

Amy :)

SJ35
28-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi, I was registered in march last year and got my first mindee at the beginning of June, so three months :(
I have had a lot of time wasters. I have had sooooo many people make an appt to come round then just not turn up. Drives me mad!
Xx

tulip0803
28-06-2013, 09:46 AM
When I originally registered I had a family waiting - Fulltime, one preschool one after school. A childminder had passed my details on because she knew I was registering. My certificate came on the Friday and I started on the Monday.

I moved to Wales and had to re-register and my registration coincided exactly with the economy crashing. Within 2 weeks I had an enquiry again from another local childminder but for only 1 day 6 hours a week. For the next 18 months I had 3 different children all for 1 day 6 hours a week! As a new one started I got notice from previous child:( (1 because job was relocating other because moving house out of area). Then it started to pick u:)

Parent meetings vary - some stay for 1/2 hour others for more. Some come a few times. I am always nervous and tell them so, it seems to break the ice.

I have been lucky I have had very few timewasters over the years. I have had people come and then choose elsewhere but they all have tended to turn up.

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I think I would be nervous a little too especially for first few as its just something I don't know what to expect.

I presume on the first visit it's about introducing yourself, showing them around you'r home and explaining a little about what you do, answering their questions???

Amy :)

Tinkerbell1979
28-06-2013, 10:36 AM
I registered in Zjine last year but already had someone lined up to start October but had no one in between so 4 months

*daisychain*
28-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I was very lucky as I had two children lined up before I started, then four months after I began filled my unused space with another LO. Majority of the familys I mind from know me as I worked in a school as a teaching assistant for over ten years.
I havent had any time wasters who have came for a visit, 100% have started with us. My hubby is now my assistant as we had so much interest.
I know how quickly things can change though, only today are we losing a LO who has been with me from the start due to mum being off sick :(

CLL
28-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I registered in January had loads of time wasters and people wanting things I didn't want to do, such as late nights, weekends, pick ups from home etc. stick to what you want to offer as you will resent it later on. I got my first mindee in April, full time baby and my second baby in June, part time till Sept then full time. I have just taken on third baby part time till September. I don't want any others and I turn people away weekly now. Be prepared to be messed about a lot and don't be disheartened if it doesn't go to plan at first, you will get there eventually.

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Well that's it and I'm in a very fortunate position money wise where I don't need things to happen quickly to start earning.

Infact for me the money side of this is a little bonus to doing something that I love doing already!

So I am hoping things happen steady and work out well.

I have mentioned to a few people what I am looking to start doing and it's amazing how many have said "that's great that's child care sorted for me then" "brilliant keep me posted as I am looking to go back to work and would love you to have LO"

- obviously may not work that way but a few who have said that it would be really great if it did work out as I have good relationships with the parents and children already...

Time will tell :)