PDA

View Full Version : Hey all :)

amylouise867
27-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I am new to all this and have recently decided to start the adventure of childminding.

I've just sent off my application for the child minding briefing.

Been doing some odd research online with regards to childminding too.... Feel abit daunted by all the information I've read of last few days even though I have a 8 year background in working with children.

It's more so the setting up, writing all the policies, thinking of a name for my 'Business'.

Don't really want to just dedicate one room to childminding either... But again that's been bugging me haha so much to think about and consider & no doubt change my mind a million times along the way.

Really hope this venture works out as I am so passionate about this and it also enables me to be there to raise my own children - giving me a focus doing something I love.

Thinking of getting in touch with some local childminders (I know I will meet some childminders to be shortly) but I thought talking in person to some in the area would b really valuable!! Along with seeing what resources, facilities etc they have got going.

This briefing can't come quick enough anyway.... Start the ball rolling :)

Any advise etc is welcome :)

Love to hear from you
Amy :)

jadavi
27-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Good luck Amy as long as you love kids you'll be fine. It is a minefield but you're more than half way there having discovered this forum. The independence is really nice too xx

amylouise867
27-06-2013, 09:15 PM
That's really kind of you thank you!! :)

Rick
27-06-2013, 09:29 PM
No need to fret. Everything you will need to do will be covered in your course!

I didn't have any previous experience with children but I think I have done a good job. It hasn't been easy, particularly being an independent male childminder but I am full now!

I worried about the business side of things but it's not too bad, you just have to be organised.

Good luck and tell us how it goes :thumbsup:

amylouise867
27-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow high 5 to you!!

It's great to hear that I'm not alone in feeling like this initially.

And brilliant to hear the Success stories!!

I guess the business side does worry me! My partner works in business and when I've asked him to explain a few things it's given me a headache haha!!

As you say I need to take the right steps at a steady pace and not try to bite off more than I can chew!! Not doing myself any favours I guess!!

CLL
28-06-2013, 06:16 AM
I really enjoyed the briefing sessions and the cypop5 course. I met some great prospective cm and got lots of practical advice. It is good you are so enthusiastic, there is a lot of work to be done but it is worth it as this job is great.

Amandak28
28-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Morning, I'm currently doing the CYPOP5 course through my local authority adult learning centre.

Its so informative! And my tutor is great!
Im not going to lie its a lot of work but our 20 week course has been squeezed in to 13 weeks.

My biggest worry is making sure my home is ready!
And i have all the info i need ready to reel off from memory when i get asked questions from Ofsted :-(

There are also some threads on here that offer support and advise for the CYPOP5 course.

Good luck :-) xx

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Is that the course you go on to doing after the briefing session??

Amy :)

Amandak28
28-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah thats the course you need to be able to work as a childminder. And be registered with Ofsted. X

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 10:56 AM
How much is that course??

I take it you get details all about it on the briefing day?

Amandak28
28-06-2013, 12:28 PM
It all depends on your local authority. Im in croydon so its £350. And that includes first aid and a years pacey insurance. X

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
In our area the course is £100 x

amylouise867
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Is it PACEYS?

It's around £180 I think but says to contact LA as funding is often available??

I did google childcare training childminding in Sandwell & clicked a link which downloaded a Sandwell leaflet adobe - did say to contact so & do to see if they can fund the training.... So will have a look into that...

:) x

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Oh it's not a Pacey one. In our area there is no LA funding at all (obviously there's the £250 government grant for the next 10 months though) and our course is LA run, three days £100.

amylouise867
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Oh ok

So can I just confirm

You did the briefing
Then ur 3 day LA course and then after first aid etc you could apply to begin childminding with ofsted?

I already have a level 3 CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education & 8 years experience.

I thought u had to do an additional course tho which lasted around 3-4 months?

Will learn more at the briefing I know but really egar and value your advise :)

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't know about expertise but I love hearing from other people so happy to help if I can too :)

In our area it goes - briefing (didn't do this as have been a CM recently)
Then book onto LA course for three days for £100 including safeguarding
Then you have to book on pay for first aid

Ofsted want you to email copies of certificates before they come out.

I applied online to Ofsted before all of it and just wrote on what dates I was going to be doing the courses. I think you are meant to have done them first but I'm impatient :) I already have my level 3 too but tbh it makes no difference, your inspector might like it, and network might for accreditation, but at this stage makes no difference.