PDA

View Full Version : What area does sensory type stuff link to?

mummyMia
27-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I have a 7 month old baby who is currently very interested in different types of fabrics and also clear plastic bottles filled with various items. I have done lots of lovely observations but am not sure what area of learning they link to. Under the old EYFS I tended to put sensory type things under Knowledge and Understanding of the World, but under the new EYFS we are supposed to be focussing on the prime areas for young babies. Should I just link them to physical development? I am feeling very confused. :(

moggy
27-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I would put PD and UW and evidence of characteristic of learning- Playing and Exploring.

These things do not fit into the tidy boxes the EYFS provides so I apply a dose of common sense and try not to worry!

You know what the child was getting out of it, you know what they could do next and you know how to support them, so that is what really matters.

The descriptions in the Dev. Matters are only tiny snap shots of possible things a hypothetical child might possibly do or might not do, so I do not follow them too closely- just read the whole block to get a feeling for what they mean and go with that.

sarah707
28-06-2013, 06:38 AM
I have quite a few sensory learners - it's a learning style just like you might be an auditory learner and listen to talking books and your friend might be a visual learner and prefer to read books...

Provide lots of sensory resources and link it to the child's characteristics of learning - how the child learns :D

mummyMia
28-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Great, thanks for the help, it makes more sense now. :)