PDA

View Full Version : First visit tomorrow

Karen1
27-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi

For the past week I have had emails with numerous questions from a mum wanting four hours care a week for her ten month old from September.
I guess she is nervous, any way have finally arranged a visit tomorrow afternoon, she is bringing her husband and wants to meet my children too! Mine are five and three.

As this is my first ever time doing this, I am worried that my kids will be a bit boisterous, also my husband will be home from work!

What should I put out -

Play mat with stacking toys and few bits, and books!

Nothing and see what she wants to do

Should I offer a hot drink or is that a no no?

Shall I let her meet my kids for half an hour then send them to the park with husband, so we can talk properly! Because from the emails she has a Milliion questions (which I fully understand, but want to answer them properly)

As its for September, should I say she needs to pay two weeks care now, to be deducted off first invoice, so £36 deposit. Then only £36 to pay in September. I know she won't want to make decision tomorrow, but should I sort contracts ASAP to tie her in, as this will take a space and I may get other enquiries.

As my certificate hasn't arrived yet! But on its way, can I book her now, or do I need to get cert in hand!

Anyone know how long Certs are taking to arrive,my visit was last Friday?

Will show paperwork and other stuff?

Any other advice or tips for meeting a nervous mum and dad! I don't want to seem pushy, but I don't want to be too wispy washy.

Any tips gratefully received.

Karen

benandjerrys
27-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Karen, have you got ur contracts yet? Iv just ordered some from pacey. Iv also ordered some child registration forms. I would have ur boys there for a while so she can see how u relate to ur own children. After all her child will be spending time with ur children at some time or other.

Karen1
27-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I know. Really nervous about it, all real now. Just wish I had the certificate through and can actually sign them and start. All so up in air.

Anyway it's for ten month old, so have started to plan what I will have out.

On kids table - large crayons and paper.

Floor- rug with treasure basket with items to explore.
Basket with stacking cups, ball, stacking circle game, couple of books.

Can always get other bits out if needed.

Will have paper work out to show. Have kids and husband here for a bit I think then they can go out to park. Might be overwhelming for everyone involved. My kids will see this one for couple of hours a week, so a good idea to meet, but ...

Think I might put a paper pack together to give them, so can take something solid home. What do you think?

One stress to another. Have had lots of enquiries but this is the first to actually confirm a time etc and want to bring her husband. Thinking it must be a good sign.

Karen

benandjerrys
27-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Where have u had ur enquiries from? Iv just had some flyers and business cards delivered today. I'm going to a network meeting tonight with a local CM. today I have had my friends two little ones for a couple of hours today, I will be having them from August so I got the musical instruments out and they both enjoyed it. As regards to a welcome pack I think it's a good idea. I read a post on here where people out what they had in theirs. Put welcome pack in the search box for some ideas.

Karen1
27-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for that. Have spent the last three hours putting a parent pack together. Feel a bit more confident, but still nervous, think OH is glad he's out on his mates curry night-lol!

I have advertised on childcare.co.uk, but have stated still waiting for certificate and can't care as yet.

Was suppose to have had a visit on we'd, but was a no show! Not even a sorry, I couldn't make it.bit annoyed.

Anyway this one feels like she is serious about care.

Good luck at the meeting tonight, let me know if you get any tips.

K

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Hey - how did your visit go?

Karen1
28-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi

The visit is at 4pm, so get kids from school and visit! Probably will be chaotic, but she wanted like that!

Today, I have blitzed the place, so all clean. Checked welcome pack and reprinted few pages. Found out the toys.

Have put stacking cups, three books, baby soft ball and peg puzzle out. Plus have started a treasure basket.

Treasure basket based on plastic and fabric- does this sound ok?

Piece duplo
Two coloured plastic bottles
One red wobbly plastic bottle
Old bubble blowing stick (large)
Measuring spoon
Straw
Old piece of train track
Plastic ball
Piece of ribbon
Piece of felt

Any other things I can grab from the house?

Really nervous about this meeting, ESP as my kids and husband will be here and may say or do something unpredictable.

Roll on tonight.
K

smurfette
28-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Good luck! Fingers crossed for you!

benandjerrys
28-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Any updates?

Karen1
29-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Hi

the visit went well-I think and hope.

my boys were good, bringing the LO toys to hold and talking to him. so was pleased with them.

the husband sat down and read every word in my portfolio and when she asked me questions, he was answering them from what he had read! so glad that I had covered everything. they seemed nice. I gave them the parent pack. they said their LO is going to nursery two days a week and childminder one day as the nursery couldn't have him that day, but if things worked out with childminder may swop it over! so who knows. anyway said they are going to discuss over weekend and get back to me.

woke up and have two more email enquiries for that same day, and wanting to visit next week. have agreed for them to come, but may not have the space for all of them! Popular day for care. How do CM manage that, is it just first come first served because I cant promise everyone a space, especially if they then don't want it and then lose an enquiry? I suspose this is the start of learning how to manage your own business. any tips on handling enquiries for same day? do I tell potential parents that i have had other enquiries for that day (or does that seen pushy) just all come and then first to sign is in!!! lol.

thanks for all your support.

just need that certificate now so can actually sign up.
k

Emra81
29-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Congrats on the great first visit! Must be such a good feeling knowing it went well and things are of to a flying start with enquiries...well done!

I'm pre reg so have no frame of reference but think that I'll prob go with first come first served when I am first registered as I'll be so desperate for mindees! But when I'm a bit more confident (and wiser!) I'll prob attempt to cherry pick the families I feel would fit in best.

Good luck with all the enquiries...let us know how you get on x

Karen1
30-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi

I have a mindee!!

Well in theory until my cert gets here, and then I can get them to sign. Very excited, all going well so far. Just hope the cert arrives soon, or they may get fed up waiting. i know i am. Care to start in sept.

So that now means my enquiry visit tomorrow, I can only do one of her days now and the other from December because of the ratios and their ages.

Will just have to see what she says. Still nervous, but no kids this time for visit.

K

benandjerrys
30-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Well done Karen! I can't wait to start.....it's all real now x

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Well done Karen :)

Emra81
01-07-2013, 05:58 PM
That's fab, well done!!

Karen1
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes it's all real now.

Still waiting for cert- another story!