PDA

View Full Version : Pre reg visit feedback

benandjerrys
24-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi all, I had my visit this morning and She was here for 3 hours. I t actually went really quick. For the first 20 minutes the lady was very official and made my nerves worse but then it all became a bit less formal which put me at ease. She showed me her I.D then I made her a brew. She wanted to see mine and my partners I.D and to see all my certificates. She asked names of all who lived here and why I want to start minding. All the time typing the info into her laptop.

She then started asking questions regarding suitable person, smoking alcohol, other substances. What my work history has been and any certificates I can carry over. She wanted car insurance cert and m.o.t certificate.

Then we went onto the seven areas of learning and activities for a 12 month old and four year old. I was most nervous about this as I am not from a childcare background but she said I did really well. Next was obs and planning so I just showed her the forms I was going to use and explained how. She also gave me some useful tips regarding recording progress and was really quite helpful.

She asked all the questions on the questionnaire about school readiness, progress check, not developing as expected but not in order. I did refer to my notes now and again. She asked about medication, signs of abuse, who would I contact if I had concerns. She wanted to know where my smoke alarms were and what my escape route would be. At this point I showed her my smoke alarm/carbon monoxide/fire drill sheets.

We walked round the house and she was happy with everything. She explained that Ofsted do not register certain rooms. That all rooms would be registered but that it was up to me to risk assess all parts of the house. She glanced at my risk assessments. She only wanted to see policies that are compulsory for the childcare register. She wanted to see an attendance register.

She was happy with all glass as it was safety glass and happy with the dogs crate in the kitchen (quite big kitchen)

All I can say is have as much paperwork prepared as possible. Have your house clean and clutter free and have some idea of how you will use your space especially for sleeping children.

Thankyou for all your posts as this is how I have learnt most things. She said she was surprised that I didn't come from a childcare background and was impressed with my preparation and thought that I have put in She said she was more than happy to recommend me. Certificate will be 1-2 weeks. She said it may be her that returns in 6 months for graded inspection but maybe not. I hope it is her!

Anyways I hope this post helps everyone that is pre reg, it really is not that bad once you get into it, the waiting is definitely worse. And to top it off I go to school to pick kids up and get an enquiry for holiday care :thumbsup:

benandjerrys
24-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Forgot to say that she asked me for my business insurance policy number which I didn't have as I didn't know I had to. I had to jump on the phone to pacey and join A.S.A.P I actually said to the girl on the phone " hurry up and join me up quick,iv got Ofsted in the next room" !!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

FussyElmo
24-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Congratulations and thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

adedwards68
24-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Well done, I had mine last weeks, also 3 hours long, I had all my paperwork ready and she didn't want to look at it. I didn't have my insurance as I hadn't been registered yet I wasn't going to pay out for it, but she never asked about it
You can see why so many cm are graded differently as mrs o isn't very consistent in what we should or shouldn't have.

Karen1
25-06-2013, 09:08 AM
well done emma.

we are now well on our way.

there are so many differences between the inspectors, mine even checked the smoke alarms and looked fro brackets on my glass, but then didn't want to see the insurance(which I haven't yet got)!
should be a standard across the board.

but it is done and can relax for a bit, but I have two potential visits this week, so don't think I can quite rest on my laurels as really need to start work, or Ofsted wont be able to grade me in six months.

im not a domestic goddess, so keeping up with the cleaning and actually doing it is a pain. can we claim expenses for a cleaner? would be interesting to know?

phew x

unalindura77
26-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi all, I had my visit this morning and She was here for 3 hours. I t actually went really quick. For the first 20 minutes the lady was very official and made my nerves worse but then it all became a bit less formal which put me at ease. She showed me her I.D then I made her a brew. She wanted to see mine and my partners I.D and to see all my certificates. She asked names of all who lived here and why I want to start minding. All the time typing the info into her laptop.

She then started asking questions regarding suitable person, smoking alcohol, other substances. What my work history has been and any certificates I can carry over. She wanted car insurance cert and m.o.t certificate.

Then we went onto the seven areas of learning and activities for a 12 month old and four year old. I was most nervous about this as I am not from a childcare background but she said I did really well. Next was obs and planning so I just showed her the forms I was going to use and explained how. She also gave me some useful tips regarding recording progress and was really quite helpful.

She asked all the questions on the questionnaire about school readiness, progress check, not developing as expected but not in order. I did refer to my notes now and again. She asked about medication, signs of abuse, who would I contact if I had concerns. She wanted to know where my smoke alarms were and what my escape route would be. At this point I showed her my smoke alarm/carbon monoxide/fire drill sheets.

We walked round the house and she was happy with everything. She explained that Ofsted do not register certain rooms. That all rooms would be registered but that it was up to me to risk assess all parts of the house. She glanced at my risk assessments. She only wanted to see policies that are compulsory for the childcare register. She wanted to see an attendance register.

She was happy with all glass as it was safety glass and happy with the dogs crate in the kitchen (quite big kitchen)

All I can say is have as much paperwork prepared as possible. Have your house clean and clutter free and have some idea of how you will use your space especially for sleeping children.

Thankyou for all your posts as this is how I have learnt most things. She said she was surprised that I didn't come from a childcare background and was impressed with my preparation and thought that I have put in She said she was more than happy to recommend me. Certificate will be 1-2 weeks. She said it may be her that returns in 6 months for graded inspection but maybe not. I hope it is her!

Anyways I hope this post helps everyone that is pre reg, it really is not that bad once you get into it, the waiting is definitely worse. And to top it off I go to school to pick kids up and get an enquiry for holiday care :thumbsup:

A big THANK YOU to you for taking the time to share this experience, there's good info here for prospective minders like me to know....I am still waiting for my call so more time to prep with posts like these....

Just one question, don't you need to be registered and have a reg number before you get the insurance?

Congratulations!

benandjerrys
26-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Well that's what I thought about the insurance too but the inspector said my local authority should of told me I needed it.

CLL
26-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Excellent, well done. It is great to get going.

amylouise867
28-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Hope it works out for you!!

So much to think about and consider!!

Some great people in here though who will happily support you which is great!!

All the best!!

Amy :)

benandjerrys
29-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I got my certificate back!

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 07:25 AM
That was quick!!! Well done :)