PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted latest inspection statistics (Jan-March 13)...and PLA response

Simona
23-06-2013, 09:51 AM
These are Ofsted latest inspection statistics from Jan-March 2013 for the EYFS 2012

I am not good at reading statistics but it seem clear Wilshaw says the 'quality has improved'?
We all want to improve further but on these results where is the evidence that cms are so bad and need an agency to improve quality? and where is the evidence that agencies will improve it?

Some areas seem to do worse than others, I wonder if Wilshaw has understood that some cms achieve good/o's grades without much help from their LA?
Maybe his first step should be to tell the Minister to bring ALL LAs in line to offer equal support to cms as they are funded to do and is their duty under legislation...but then Truss is busy taking responsibility away from them

As you know Ofsted are introducing 8 Regions which will offer seminars to weaker providers but these exclude cms
it seems clear to me at least, that Wilshaw wants cms off his books to save lots of money and is pushing the agency agenda

Ofsted | Official statistics: Early years and childcare registered providers inspections and outcomes (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/official-statistics-early-years-and-childcare-registered-providers-inspections-and-outcomes)

This is PLA response to the statistics...sorry, unfortunately, there isn't one from cms representing associations
PLA are concerned at the drop in grades from Outstanding to Inadequate

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/386/alliance-welcomes-latest-ofsted-inspection-judgement-ratings

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/386/alliance-welcomes-latest-ofsted-inspection-judgement-ratings

bunyip
23-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I would love to know how Wilshaw or anyone else can say that quality has improved, or declined, or changed at all for that matter.

Last September, the EYFS changed and so did the inspection judgements criteria. To put it another way, they changed what is being measured and how it is measured. Therefore, any year-on-year comparison is invalid. It would be like comparing the number of apples picked in 2012 with the weight of pears harvested in 2013 in order to decide if fruit crops were improved.

Any comparison between inspection data from the last 1/4 of 2012 and the first 1/4 of 2013 is no better. It probably only demonstrates whether inspectors are getting to grips with the new inspection regime (and have maybe stopped assuming that it's "too early to demonstrate a child's progress under the new EYFS" - which a few local CM a were told by Prospects as their gradings nose-dived. :mad:)

In any case, these statistics do not measure quality - they measure numerical returns.

Just as there are lies, damned lies and statistics, so there are liars, damned liars and statisticians. :p

Smiley
23-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I know exactly what you mean bunyip, statistics tend to be quantitative and I agree to make comparisons with last year is not a true reflection due to the inspection framework changing. I think more childminders are becoming aware of the evaluation schedule for early years inspections. It's certainly a useful document to see the criteria that inspectors work to and the evidence they require prior to making judgements. Alongside that document it's worth being familiar with conducting early years inspections.

Simona
24-06-2013, 06:39 AM
You are both right of course Smiley and Bunyip...

the inspection criteria did change in 2012, the inspectors came along poorly trained, in fact some were still training months after the framework kicked in, providers complained, many previously Outstanding providers were dropped a grade or as we see in the PLA response are now inadequate...we were told it was going to be difficult to achieve Outstanding ...according to the statistics that is not so... and so on and on

.....and changes are due again in September 2013 with a new framework to reflect the satisfactory grade being replaced by 'requires improvement'

Having said all that, Wilshaw uses 'his statistics' as a weapon to beat and criticise teachers, as revealed in his 'Unseen children' speech and statistics are used to continue to criticise the EY workforce via the quarterly or whatever results Ofsted appears to be publishing

What would the alternative be?
we can be critical and cynical but that is probably not enough as a weapon against this man who is intent on destroying the morale of teachers and EY workforce alike...

he does not stop or think but hides his offensive remarks behind his belief he is doing children a good favour! he shows his hurt at teachers' criticism...he ploughs on with his grand plan for cms agencies so he can get us off his books and pay all those lovely people he is recruiting a fat salary to act as his policemen in the 8 brand new Ofsted regions he has created....

I believe he has totally hijacked Truss' original plan...
everywhere you go you will find DfE and Ofsted backing, pushing and endorsing agencies and Truss speeches are just a seal of approval of their work now...
she can't even face cms or address them herself, everything is delivered at someone else's conference...

The man needs a bit of a challenge from the EY sector...the same he got from the teachers' union...but apart from PLA CEO who will speak up for us??

Well it is going to be a busy week with the spending review and C&F Bill last evidence debate...so glad I got this off my chest!!

Smiley
24-06-2013, 07:33 AM
I sense you are feeling calmer after that Simona, I am thanks for that although I've still got my soapbox at the ready! :laughing:

hectors house
24-06-2013, 08:20 AM
I re-registered in 2005 and at first inspection was graded Good, then the EYFS came in - I felt I improved 100% but as the Ofsted hoop had become smaller and higher on my inspection in 2009 I still got Good - now the EYFS has changed again - I have carried on improving but as the hoop as got higher and smaller I think I will struggle to keep my Good on my next (due any time) inspection.

So as Bunyip says how can you compare the results - add into that equation a different inspector each time, how can we convince them we have improved?

Simona
24-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Ooopps Smiley...I didn't mean to come across angry but could not hide my frustration with Sir Michael!!

jackie 7
25-06-2013, 08:59 PM
And the stats don't take into account the inspectors who dislike cm's and will only give them good.