PDA

View Full Version : Truss speech at NDNA conference ...please read

Simona
21-06-2013, 09:06 PM
This is the summary of her speech ..for more click on the link
Worth reading...get a glass of wine and plough through it as she addresses agencies and cms...I don't think she has grasped that the overwhelming majority of cms are AGAINST agencies...up to you to judge

Such a shame and honestly unfair, we have not a cms focussed conference she can address but this is the best we have at present

''Childcare minister Elizabeth Truss spoke on Thursday to the National Day Nurseries Association conference, outlining some of the plans in More Great Childcare and her ideas for the future of early years childcare in England.

Some key points were:

On education grant funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds

"We do want to maximise the amount of funding reaching the front line. I’ve had a lot of representations on this from nurseries. There is clearly unfairness in the system, about the amount that different local authorities get.

One of the things we’re doing is getting more transparency on that, so currently we are getting data from local authorities about exactly what they’re paying for different types of provider. That will help us analyse the situation better, because one of the issues we struggle with is that the Department for Education pays money to local authorities, they then devise their own funding rates, so we don’t know at present how much is going through to providers so at least we will have more information. And we’ve already gathered that information and we’re cleaning up the data at the moment, so we’ll be able to do that"

On childminder agencies

"I also think it’s important that parents have a choice of different types of provision and that we have more collaboration between them. So nurseries, childminders, and schools.

Childminder numbers - and especially the number of younger childminders - have fallen over the last 20 years. We are working on a policy of childminder agencies to improve the numbers of childminders and provide a high-training, high-quality access route into the profession.

Agencies will be inspected by Ofsted, and be a source of business and other practical help. They will be self-financing and independent of government. It will not be obligatory to join them, but new childminders - and many existing ones - may well find that agencies offer a support network and a more secure way of working.

Over 60 organisations have expressed an interest in working with us to trial elements of childminder agencies. They are a mix ranging from nursery chains to individual childminders, academies, maintained schools, national childcare organisations, children’s centres and local authorities.

We’re going to be working on testing out the concept, testing out the business model, and the regulatory system. But I can reassure you that Ofsted will be keeping a very close eye on the childminders within those agencies to make sure that quality is maintained during that process.

Once we’ve completed the trials we will then consult on the regulation around childminder agencies.

Those who remain independent will not be formally or informally compelled to join an agency. But I strongly hope that this will increase the number of childminders in our system and also more of a seamless service for parents will be very attractive. It will also provide a one-stop shop for parents where they want it."

On training

"This September we are also putting £2 million towards a bursary scheme, for a level 3 early years Advanced Apprenticeship for the Children and Young People’s Workforce. There will be up to 1,000 places, with each bursary worth £1,500, plus an additional £300 for more training to work with 2-year-olds. The bursaries are available from this September this year.

This is a transitional measure until September 2014, when the new early years educator qualification comes in."'' (end)

Read the full transcript of her speech
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/elizabeth-truss-speaks-to-the-national-day-nurseries-association

Rick
21-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks Simona :thumbsup: I don't think she has grasped much at all :laughing:

The Juggler
21-06-2013, 09:21 PM
This is the summary of her speech ..for more click on the link
Worth reading...get a glass of wine and plough through it as she addresses agencies and cms...I don't think she has grasped that the overwhelming majority of cms are AGAINST agencies...up to you to judge

Such a shame and honestly unfair, we have not a cms focussed conference she can address but this is the best we have at present

''Childcare minister Elizabeth Truss spoke on Thursday to the National Day Nurseries Association conference, outlining some of the plans in More Great Childcare and her ideas for the future of early years childcare in England.

Some key points were:

On education grant funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds

"We do want to maximise the amount of funding reaching the front line. I’ve had a lot of representations on this from nurseries. There is clearly unfairness in the system, about the amount that different local authorities get.

One of the things we’re doing is getting more transparency on that, so currently we are getting data from local authorities about exactly what they’re paying for different types of provider. That will help us analyse the situation better, because one of the issues we struggle with is that the Department for Education pays money to local authorities, they then devise their own funding rates, so we don’t know at present how much is going through to providers so at least we will have more information. And we’ve already gathered that information and we’re cleaning up the data at the moment, so we’ll be able to do that"

On childminder agencies

"I also think it’s important that parents have a choice of different types of provision and that we have more collaboration between them. So nurseries, childminders, and schools.

Childminder numbers - and especially the number of younger childminders - have fallen over the last 20 years. We are working on a policy of childminder agencies to improve the numbers of childminders and provide a high-training, high-quality access route into the profession.

Agencies will be inspected by Ofsted, and be a source of business and other practical help. They will be self-financing and independent of government. It will not be obligatory to join them, but new childminders - and many existing ones - may well find that agencies offer a support network and a more secure way of working.

Over 60 organisations have expressed an interest in working with us to trial elements of childminder agencies. They are a mix ranging from nursery chains to individual childminders, academies, maintained schools, national childcare organisations, children’s centres and local authorities.

We’re going to be working on testing out the concept, testing out the business model, and the regulatory system. But I can reassure you that Ofsted will be keeping a very close eye on the childminders within those agencies to make sure that quality is maintained during that process.

Once we’ve completed the trials we will then consult on the regulation around childminder agencies.

Those who remain independent will not be formally or informally compelled to join an agency. But I strongly hope that this will increase the number of childminders in our system and also more of a seamless service for parents will be very attractive. It will also provide a one-stop shop for parents where they want it."

On training

"This September we are also putting £2 million towards a bursary scheme, for a level 3 early years Advanced Apprenticeship for the Children and Young People’s Workforce. There will be up to 1,000 places, with each bursary worth £1,500, plus an additional £300 for more training to work with 2-year-olds. The bursaries are available from this September this year.

This is a transitional measure until September 2014, when the new early years educator qualification comes in."'' (end)

Read the full transcript of her speech
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/elizabeth-truss-speaks-to-the-national-day-nurseries-association

i received an e-mail about this tonight from the DfE. To qualify for a bursary you need to have GCSE maths and english and be already enrolled on a level 3 course. So no option to take the GCSE during or after. Even when I did my foundation degree you didn't need your GCSE - not even for the third year BA top up :panic:

hectors house
21-06-2013, 09:31 PM
When she talks about "lifting the bonnet and seeing how complexed things are" at the end - is she talking about sun hats!