PDA

View Full Version : Wilshaw wants review of EY assessmnet

Simona
21-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Good grief...children in nursery and reception classes will be assessed on their grasp of numbers....but some are barely out of nappies!!

Ofsted chief calls for review of early years assessment | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1187290/ofsted-chief-calls-review-early-years-assessment)

rickysmiths
21-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Again a panic and inflammatory comment. If you read the report it is not suggested that two year olds be assessed in that way at all.

It is interesting to read though.

Simona
21-06-2013, 04:43 PM
This is what it says in the article and I quote directly from it...I didn't comment on 'how' they will be assessed just on 'what': grasp of numbers!

''When children arrive in the nursery or reception class, the best schools quickly assess each child in terms of key skills such as language and grasp of numbers. They use this baseline to inform teaching and support for each child. They link frequent assessments of each child’s progress to the professional development and performance management of their staff.’' (end)

There is nothing 'inflammatory or panicky' about the statement as it is Wilshaw who said not me...maybe you would explain how you interpret it? all the people commenting on this statement today said the same
and yes some of those children will be barely out of nappies?

sarah707
21-06-2013, 04:43 PM
As the article says, 'Chief inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw called for ‘a major change in our approach to assessment in the early years’...'

Goodness knows what he has in store for our little ones :(

Chatterbox Childcare
21-06-2013, 05:06 PM
But we assess them for numbers way before nursery anyway so maybe he should read the EYFS again!

Stapleton83
21-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Does he actually know what is in the EYFS I ask myself. Besides which we already assess them on a regular basis in order to ensure that we are leading them towards their next steps. It almost seems as though he is looking for another idea to push forward without having really thought it through.

Has he recognised the fact that under the 2 year check mathematics does not form part of the key building blocks for children's learning :panic::panic:

Sam x

Simona
21-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Wilshaw appears to be ignorant on the fact that up to age 3 we need to concentrate on the 3 Prime Areas: Physical, Language, Personal and Social development.... the latter being the most important aspect of children's progress before they enter the rigid school routine at such a young age...name another country which follows this and despite Truss's travels abroad she has failed to learn the vital lesson that you can't hurry child development or change it to suit your politics!

Of course we can look at progress in the Specific areas such as Mathematics and record any 'emerging skills' such as counting but I do not believe young children should be assessed on their grasp of numbers...how many 3 year olds have you heard count: 1,2,3 4,5 6,7,8,9 ...7, 6...will that label them as failing and not school ready?

Wilshaw is rewriting the EYFS and making false claims that we are not preparing children for school...be aware and be prepared to speak up for our children!