PDA

View Full Version : Maternity leave - retainer?

tigersfan
17-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I currently look after a 7 year old before and after school, totalling 3.75 hrs, 4 days a week. I have him for 10hrs a day, 4 days a week in school holidays.

His mum goes on maternity leave mid July, right at the start of the school holidays. At the moment they are saying they wont need me at all (this may change when they realise how hard it is when you suddenly have 2 children)! I am then due to have him and his baby brother/sister as normal in March 2014.

This is obviously going to cut my pay drastically during the school holidays, I have mentioned a retainer will need to be paid but am unsure how much I should charge. If I can fill his holiday space then I will.

Advice please.... :0)

AliceK
18-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I think you are very generous to do this even with a retainer which I believe would be approx. 50%. All my parents who have gone on maternity leave and still want a space for their current child plus poss a space for the new baby have to keep to their contracted hours throughout. I couldn't afford to lose the income for such a long time.
xxxx

tiger79
30-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your response - does anyone else have any suggestions?

oxfordshirecm
30-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I agree with Alicek- you either charge the retainer at 50% until march or you charge contracted hours. As in theory you wouldn't be able to fill the space unless they only want temp childcare

The Juggler
30-06-2013, 09:18 PM
i would say to her you understand why she won't need you and it will save her money but explain that you WILL need to earn money during the holidays and this will involve taking on another holiday child. Tell her she can have first refusal but if she is happy to let the space go to someone else you cannot guarantee it will be available again when she wants it.