PDA

View Full Version : On standby charges

twinkle3005
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I had a call from a Dr at the weekend who needed someone on standby to have his 2 children as he was on call. He wanted me on standby from 8am to 10pm. We had an evening out planned so I said I could do it until 6pm. I haven't done this before so asked that he pay a £20 non returnable retainer and then it would be £7 per hour for the first child and £6 per hour the second for just the hours I have them. He knocked me down to £5 and £4 per hour. He then asked what I charged for overnight care and I said £30 from 7pm til 9am per child. He rang later and said he didn't need me this time but he would keep my details for future reference. Do you think these rates are reasonable and have any of you had to be on standby and what do you charge? Thanks

Heaven Scent
07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I think he had a blasted cheek knocking you down considering what he will be earning for the night - How would he feel if the Government tried to knock him down when he came to collect his wages.

I thought that someone in the so called "professions" would have had a bit more regard for someone wanting to earn a decent crust.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Mrs.L.C
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
was this at the weekend?

charleyfarley
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I've never been asked to do stand by but your rates sounded more than reasonable. Don't think I'd have done the second child cheaper though, not on a weekend.

He definately had a cheek getting you to drop the rates :angry:

Carol xx

Donkey
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
flaming cheek!!!

:angry:

disney
07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
this person has got some real cheeck : you know the parents that earn the most i find are the ones who always try to knock you down i find your rates are very reasonable hes lucky you even would consider working weekends and being on call x

scottie
07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
your rates are good and your overnight is really cheap

he did have a cheek i wouldn't let anyone knock you down stick to your prices.

angeldelight
07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Did he expect you to have his children this weekend or another weekend ?

Did he arrange for you to meet his children incase he should need you in the future ?

Angel xx

wendywu
07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
No i would not have done it for his rates. Your rates were reasonable enough.
Doctors are on mega money.

sue32
07-07-2008, 06:10 PM
I would have stuck to your first rate and not have the knock down rate. I would charge more than £3o for over night.

I would speak to him again and say you need to see the children as they could be a handful and you moght not want them and I give him a copy of your fees at the same time so you both know whats happening regarding fees.

I do out of hour care and very little notice care but I charge for all hour they are with me (it does not matter if they are a sleep or a wake) and i dont reduce for two children

Hope this helps

Trouble
07-07-2008, 06:15 PM
cheeky wotsit:angry: :angry: :angry: