PDA

View Full Version : Layout drama

itsybitsyteeny
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I live in a townhouse so we have 3 floors and as it is only me and my partner here at the moment we do have a fair bit of space. Downstairs is the kitchen which is open plan and there is an open space in front of that which has a door out to the garden. The living room is upstairs and opposite is a spare room so we turned that into a bit of a playroom. The only thing is.. When I had my pre reg visit Mrs O said 'what are you going to do if one child wants to play down here and the other upstairs?'... The thing is because the downstairs is a kitchen area and then space infront (designed to have a kitchen table and chairs in and not much else) I feel I need the room upstairs also for more space for toys/resources. I have one mindee so far and the parents are very enthusiastic of the layout. They love the variety it gives the child. But I am worried ofsted will be on at me at the next inspection. I don't know what to do!

charlottenash
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
As long as you risk assess and tell them you wouldn't leave children unattended so it would be a case of sharing the time between downstairs and upstairs (if 2 children wanted to play in different areas) and teaching children this is how its done OR include in your planning 'upstairs room' 'downstairs room' etc and that will keep them happy! They won't be concerned about the actual reality of having 3 floors just the safety.

sarajane25
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi

that is a difficult one, its good you have all that space! If I was in your situation I would organise similiar resources/activities/toys which reflect the areas of development/learning into the same room. Then as part of your routine and planning for the day you would move through the rooms. This way all your children are getting a chance to be in all rooms thus taking part in a range of play activities. So maybe the room opp the kitchen could be your messy/creative/craft/writing/drawing cooking area. Then the other rooms upstairs could be where construction play, small world play, role play, puzzles/ games, quiet area etc takes places. I hope that helps and makes sense! Im sure ofsted would be happy with that.

sarah707
12-06-2013, 08:22 PM
You have to keep children in your sight and / or hearing at all times - and it will depend on the ages and stages of development of the children.

They wouldn't ask a nursery which had rooms for different ages of children that question would they? :(

It's up to you how you organise your provision to make sure the children benefit - as long as you record it appropriately a reasonable Ofsted inspector shouldn't have a problem :D

chriss
12-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I like the words *reasonable ofsted inspector* ;)

itsybitsyteeny
12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I like the words *reasonable ofsted inspector* ;)

They do exist then? :laughing:

sing-low
12-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I live in a townhouse so we have 3 floors and as it is only me and my partner here at the moment we do have a fair bit of space. Downstairs is the kitchen which is open plan and there is an open space in front of that which has a door out to the garden. The living room is upstairs and opposite is a spare room so we turned that into a bit of a playroom. The only thing is.. When I had my pre reg visit Mrs O said 'what are you going to do if one child wants to play down here and the other upstairs?'... The thing is because the downstairs is a kitchen area and then space infront (designed to have a kitchen table and chairs in and not much else) I feel I need the room upstairs also for more space for toys/resources. I have one mindee so far and the parents are very enthusiastic of the layout. They love the variety it gives the child. But I am worried ofsted will be on at me at the next inspection. I don't know what to do!

Sounds like a fair question - and now you have a chance to prepare your answer for your first graded inspection. And also work out in practise what you will do when you have more than one mindee. Our house is similar - all up and down - keeps me fit! :)

caz3007
13-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I would say to Mrs O that children need to learn to compromise and if you have different activities in each area, that you come to an agreement between the children what area they will be in and then the other area say in half an hour. I am unable to have free flow into my garden as couldn't watch the children inside at the same time as the ones in the garden, but we compromise and would play in the lounge and then in the garden later. Children do have to learn that they cant do everything they want at that exact time and sometimes have to wait

itsybitsyteeny
13-06-2013, 02:55 PM
The risk assessment for the upstairs/downstairs layout - is it along these lines?

Children falling downstairs
• Make sure all children are in front of me so I can see them
• Hold hands of youngest children
• Older children to hold bannister at all times
• Ensure safety gates are secured behind us
Fire
• Close doors behind us
• Carry young children downstairs
• Ensure older children are in front of me holding bannister at all times