PDA

View Full Version : Graveyard visit

Clever Clogs
07-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Sorry for the wacky title! My daughter has been asking me for a while to take her to a graveyard to see all the different stones etc (sparked by Greyfriars Bobby). I was just searching the internet and one of the activities I came across for something to do with the kids was to take them on a visit to a graveyard and let them spot which is the oldest readable stone, the nicest angel, any famous people etc.

Has anyone done anything like this before or does it sound a bit too morbid or disrespectful to the people buried there? Was thinking I could take my daughter and older 2 (who are a bit more sensible).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tracey

sarah707
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't htink it's disrespectful at all ...

A nice thing would be to take along a bunch of flowers for the oldest grave.

We like doing rubbings of the stones :D

Pedagog
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
My kids love going to old churchyards/graveyards, and looking at the very old stones, and the family stones. This has led to many history lessons, when lots of young children have died in a short period etc.

Tatia
14-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Ahhh, Sarah, I should have known!:rolleyes: One of my fave things used to be to do rubbings of old tombstones that couldn't be read with the eye any longer! I haven't had a chance to do it over here yet but in The States, I found graves as far back as the Revolutionary War (I think that war involved some tea and a redcoat or two, haha). I'd be in hog heaven over here!

I used to have to drive around, visiting clients in a very rural area and if they cancelled on me, it was too far to drive back to the office before next appointment so I'd hang out in the local old cemetaries. I find them quite peaceful and beautiful.

squiggle
14-07-2008, 04:23 PM
we go to the local cemetary alot.

my dd loves squirrels and their is loads there.

my grandad, grandma and uncle also have a bench their so we have a sit down and look for the squirrels.

flowers for the oldest gravestone is a lovely idea

Jen xx

Tatia
14-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Oh oops! HAha! Sarah, I didn't mean to add the rolls eyes smiley after saying I should have known!! I meant to add the guy with the sunglasses and only just noticed my mistake!:laughing:

*wipes tears of laughter* You must have thought I was being really cheeky!:blush:

Annie_T
15-07-2008, 12:18 AM
i dont think its disrespectful either, it gets the children use to that type of area (im scared of graveyards - only go if more than me and a friend- dunno why i am tho)

i no idea's but maybe a small talk if the children ask why they there etc too

christine e
15-07-2008, 05:36 AM
I recently walked through churchyard with a two year old, stopped in the garden of rest (where ashes are buried) noticed my grandma's name plate was a bit overgrown so bent over the clear the grass from around it and the two year old started throwing the flowers placed on the other name plates all over the place. I frantically tried to put them back in the right place!

Cx