PDA

View Full Version : Linking Observations to the EYFS

LittleStarzSE9
11-06-2013, 10:40 AM
I have a headache with linking Observations to the Development Matters and the EYFS.
I have been told for each child to have their own (age-ability appropriate guide/pages from the development matters) in their folder which I can highlight and use as reference and that's fair enough but I seem to be getting in a right muddle in knowing how to cross reference it all.

E.g Child A laid out 16 cars he counted 1-10 clearly pointing at the cars and then his numbers started to get random..
This would go in Mathematics and I would create my next steps as teaching him to count to 15 by incorporating more numbers in play (giving 6 weeks to achieve this) ?

What if child A made play dough, how would I cross reference this? Is it okay to put it across several areas? i.e CL, M, EAD & PD. how do I reference it in terms of the area written in the development matters guide?
*hits head against my folders* :D

Help me please somebody.. lol

Rick
11-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Most observations could come under more than one area of development. Don't forget you are trying to find a 'best fit' statement from DM, you won't find one that mentions play doh specifically. I usually just look under each area of development, around the child's age and see what fits best.

JCrakers
11-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Yes, my observations usually cover more than one area. :)

Sounds good to me..... Although I wouldn't give myself a timescale to work towards I'd just make a general note of next steps but everyone works differently.

LittleStarzSE9
11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
okay thanks guys maybe ill take out the timescale.. Thank you

sarah707
11-06-2013, 05:01 PM
It's important to remember that we don't always have to be pushing the child on... sometimes they need time to consolidate / practice their skills :D

LittleStarzSE9
11-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Good point Sarah, Thank YOU