PDA

View Full Version : 2 year check on new mindee

10-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I have had a LO for 4 weeks now though she only attends for 2 short days a week. Within these 4 weeks, she had a weeks holiday so really I have only had her for 3 weeks. She has only just settled too so don't know her very well yet. She turned 2 within the first week of coming to me however I haven't completed a 2 year check yet as I don't feel I know her well enough. Not sure what to do?!?!

Rick
10-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Do you know when LOs health visitor 2yr check is? If it's not for a few weeks then it gives you that long to get to know LO better. Has LO been in another setting before you? If yes then have they done one.

You can only do what you can do. It will be a more effective document if you wait a few weeks. This is what it says in section 2.2 in the 2yr Check guidance:

The check:

Should be completed by a practitioner who knows the child well and works directly with them in the setting.

This should normally be the child's key person arises from the ongoing observational assessments carried out as part of everyday practice in the setting.

Here is the whole document:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/EYFS%20Progress%20Check%20age%202%20-%203.pdf

gef918
12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm in a similar situation. My new mindee turned 2 just 6 weeks after joining me. I completed a settling in summary for him, but commented that I was uncertain of his ability in certain areas, because I'm still getting to know him, e.g. his speaking seems to be a little behind but is that just because I'm not understanding him? I won't be completing a proper 2 year check until the end of July at least (we have until the child is 3). However, I complete summaries every 4 months and these are actually more detailed than what is required in the 2 yr check, so I may just write "2 year check" at the top of one of them!

sarah707
12-06-2013, 08:26 PM
The 2 year check should be done to coincide with the Health Visitor check - so speak to parents and find out when that is planned. :D

littlemiss60561
12-06-2013, 08:51 PM
All my 2 yr olds had their HV checks months before they were 2! So my understanding , from eyfs courses and discussions was to chose another milestone moment to write them for. Such as starting nursery. Not sure now if that's right or not!