PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help what is is good practice to do (and do ofsted like)

mmichellled
10-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Hello all

I have been reading through the forum posts and I think getting myself more and more confused on what to do in the way of observations/ daily diaries and learning journeys. I had a visit from the LA support worker and she almost suggested I was doing more than enough, but reading through here I am not doing as much as most people.

I currently do a daily diary (one for the parent who has two children. It is combined as one of the children I only really take to nursery and back apart from one morning a week. Plus mornings I have them ange from 1-5 a week). The diary contains the following categories - sleeps, food, nappies/ toilet, what we have done, how we have been. It is the last two I am writing most on and I include what they particularly likes playing with that day, anything they have done well, anything new etc.

I have been told that obs should be child led (so if I see them doing something new/ not doing something) but as a suggestion about 1-2 a month. Are you all doing more than this? I found that I wasn't writing that much more than the notes in my daily diary. Also I just ticked if there was a link to the areas of learning.

In terms of summaries (I hear some people do a summary of progress each term - are you going by school terms?), learning journeys (I assume this is just a colleciton of observations - but I also want to work through DM and 'assess' each child against the criteria to help planning etc, so could inlcude this) Should I be putting anythine else in there? I add photos to the daily diary. I am thinking of using orbit to do this but haven't completely decided yet.

If anyone has had feedback from ofsted and can offer any tips I would be really grateful. Thank you

smartbear
10-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Partner & I had our inspections 1 year apart & got contradictory responses to the same paperwork. :rolleyes: Mine was " best she'd ever seen, exemplary" & his was "far too detailed, shouldn't be doing anything like this much, waste of your time". So, completely redid it: now do weekly report & update via email with photos, achievements, suggs for home, next steps etc & if parents want to print they can. Plus a termly "Last term we..." on paper with lots of photos & an individual summary for each child. Important notes go in email to each other & then into individual cptr file, along with comments etc from parents (email too). Hardly any paper at all!! Am sure there will turn out to be something wrong with this system though...but EYP tutor liked it so who knows?:huh:

moggy
10-06-2013, 12:29 PM
You are doing 1-2 obs a month in the LJ but it sounds like you are doing more but in the daily diary. Eg: if you write in the diary ' x enjoyed painting today and tried to dip the brush in the paint (PD), next time we can try sponges and more brushes' that is actually a perfectly good Obs with a next step which could go in the LJ.

I keep the diary brief and put the detail in the obs + next steps and 'news from home' about what parents say they are doing..

If you do it your way make sure Ofsted realise there are lots of obs in your diaries- make sure diaries are there for the inspection day (do parents take them home?). Make sure parents are adding their input too, what are they doing at home, what can parents do at home to support? etc.

mmichellled
10-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Thank you thats helpful.

At the moment I have added a couple of obs to the books (they take home but I take a picture of each day in case they forget on the day I have ofsted).

I have told the mum that she can write in it too but to date she hasn't. What do you ask parents to write in? I could probably ask her a couple of questions as I use it as a communication book too.

Do you think I should put the content of the diaries (eg today they started to....) in a separate learning journey too? Is that where Ofsted would look for it?

moggy
10-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you thats helpful.

At the moment I have added a couple of obs to the books (they take home but I take a picture of each day in case they forget on the day I have ofsted).

I have told the mum that she can write in it too but to date she hasn't. What do you ask parents to write in? I could probably ask her a couple of questions as I use it as a communication book too.

Do you think I should put the content of the diaries (eg today they started to....) in a separate learning journey too? Is that where Ofsted would look for it?

Parents here always write a paragraph every morning about what child had for breakfast, how they slept and any other general news. Then I also ask they write 'news from home' which is things like 'X took first steps, X loves playing with xxx, X has started to xxx' and I copy these things into the LJ.

How you do your LJ is up to you, there is no particular way that is best. I keep diary brief as it is easier on busy days with 3 diaries to do. Then I do obs only in LJ with next step if relevant. Then if diary is lost or forgotten it does not matter. My LJs are online so parents can see them all the time too, which also means I do not have to write much in the diaries about what they are enjoying/new achievements either.