PDA

View Full Version : Nannying before childminding?

LittleAcornsThatcham
10-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm still awaiting CRB and visit, and a prospective parent has asked if I would consider nannying until it is set up. I've searched and it appears this is a possibility, can anyone advise on any major pitfalls and problems that could arise? Ones I have thought of so far are:

1. Fees - technically they are paid different rates
2. Insurance - not compulsory for nannies? But whose responsibility is it?
3. Contract - would definitely have one, can I nanny as self employed? Would it then class as a separate business on a tax return?
4. Going home - am I allowed to, at all, with a nannied child?
5. Transition between their home to mine, or potentially employed to self employed.

I'm sure there's many more, advice gratefully received :)

munch149
10-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Technically a nanny is employed but I worked self employed for a while its something to do with whether your able to seek other employment and as your going to childmind you will be so I wouldn't worry if its only until you start. I wouldn't recommend going to your home unless only for short periods I would say less than 2 hours a day as care under 2 hours don't have to be ofsted registered anyway. I would buy you PLi to cover yourself anyway. Pacey now do it for nannies I believe too and if you ring them you might be able to find out the difference and see if you can carry it over to when you start childminding. Fees are up to you but will you risk losing them if you charge more now even if only temporary. If you were already childminding you would be working with only one child so it's not much different really

LittleAcornsThatcham
10-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. Can you just choose to nanny self employed then?

I didn't want to charge a higher rate anyways, I'm just not sure how it works.

Supernanny86
10-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. Can you just choose to nanny self employed then?

I didn't want to charge a higher rate anyways, I'm just not sure how it works.

I was a self employed nanny as it was only for certain hours and days, I checked with hm revenue and they were fine about it. I have insurance with PACEY jut so I'm covered. I had to be put on their house insurance too. I had to do a separate tax return but only for time I was self employed as now I'm employed. I take nannied kids back to mine sometimes with permission but never for very long. I'm sure it's a possibility and you'd both get used to each other before you have them as a cm! Good luck :) :) ill try and answer any other questions about nannying if I can :) xx

munch149
10-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I was always led to believe that being a self employed nanny was a bit of a grey area but i wouldn't worry about it as its not for long. At the end of the day if I did settling in in there house rather than mine my job title would still be a childminder imo