PDA

View Full Version : Themes/topics?

kimmy79
09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
hi again, i was just wondering if there are any particular themes or topics that childminders are required to do/cover or is it down to personal choice? what do you cover and how? thank you

sarah707
09-06-2013, 06:00 PM
It's totally up to you what you cover!

We regularly plan themes with the children and they love them... some childminders don't like them at all... so it really is up to you!

We are in the middle of a minibeast theme at the moment and the children are loving it! :D

kimmy79
09-06-2013, 06:38 PM
thank you! :thumbsup:

Glitter
09-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I normally have a theme for each month. It can be anything from pets to books to The Gruffalo. I then use these to plan some of the activities I will have on offer. This is always very flexible and changes regularly, but I find it easier to have a theme to help focus my planning.

loocyloo
09-06-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a theme or topic that I have activities etc in mind to do for each month, but usually the children take us off elsewhere and we don't do much about it! I like to have it there for 'back up' if we don't have any ideas one day, or I need a change!

I was aiming to do spring in march/april ... well, the weather didn't help out, so we didn't, so that then bumped into may, alongside growing ( plants, ourselves, animals etc ). I had planned to do minibeasts in june, but we're still very much into our growing plants and regular visits to local pond to check on the tadpoles, so we'll see what happens next!

kimmy79
09-06-2013, 08:25 PM
thank you glitter :thumbsup:

kimmy79
09-06-2013, 08:26 PM
thank you loocyloo :thumbsup:

Stapleton83
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I try and have a theme and then plan some activities around it, often trying to line up with time of year, events or even what the schoolies are learning about.

We are currently in the middle of a by the seaside topic and having a fantastic time, especially with the sand pit, water and ice creams given the current warm weather.

Sam x

muffins
09-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I dont plan themes as I was told by my DO this is a big NO NO as its to structured!

Still I'm not on the network anymore as they had the funding taken away and told to 'concentrate more on delivering free for 2 spaces':angry:

Think I might just start doing themes now:D

loocyloo
10-06-2013, 07:40 AM
I dont plan themes as I was told by my DO this is a big NO NO as its to structured!

Still I'm not on the network anymore as they had the funding taken away and told to 'concentrate more on delivering free for 2 spaces':angry:

LOL :laughing: I AM on a network and my DOs like themes!!!!

LittleAcornsThatcham
01-07-2013, 09:53 AM
I actually quite like themes. Some people get so stressed out about it and 'planning' - just look at it as picking a fun topic and thoroughly exploring (meaning shopping for new resources) it with the kids :)

CH1957
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM

I've been told that by my DO. She says Ofsted do not like them since revised EYFS and everything should be child-led!!