PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Spangles
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
From next week I am going to have a 2 yr old little boy for 2.5 hrs p/w and his 1 yr old sister for 2.5 hrs p/w also. I'm fine with this as I'm only just starting up and it could either lead to more hours or be short term.

Anyway .... I had decided to just charge an hourly rate and not charge extra for meals and snacks but the mum came yesterday and wants me to do lunch for the little boy (not the little girl as well). I agreed because I didn't think about it at the time but it means that I'm getting paid £10 per week for him but I'm having to do him a lunch.

Am I being mean but does that seem a bit stupid of me to agree to that?

Do you think it would be okay for me to now ask her to supply his lunch for him?

I don't know what to do - maybe I should change my fees to say any child attending for less than so many hours a week will have to supply their own meals or pay a charge?

I'm confused - can you tell! Ha ha!

mrsbumbles
04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
A minder i know gave the parents the option of being charged £3.30 per hour with snacks and meals provided or £3.00 per hour if they provide their own, i thought this was a good idea, maybe you could approach the parent with this? Do it according to the fees you charge in your area.

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
shes expecting alot for just £10 a week Lorri.

Personally i would not have done a contract with her for such little hours, its not worth it and also you may loose another potential mindee for the sake of these few hours she has taken up.

Sorry dont know what to advice you xxx

hope you sort it out xxx

Spangles
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm really cheesed off that I took these two children on now! As I sit here for hours doing the paperwork for 5 hours per week altogether and figuring out what I'm going to do with them and how much it will cost it just seems so pointless. I'm going to have to do planning, obs and all sorts for them when they're both with me 2.5 hours each! That's stupid!

I'm truly very fed up!

mrsbumbles
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Dont be too fed up, im sure you will find a solution. We all make mistakes early on and we learn a lesson from them, i sure have made many myself, too many to mention!!!! But it hard to go back on arrangements you have already made, isnt it?

berkschick
04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I really feel for you. It is tough when you are desperate to get started and feel you have to take on whoever comes along.

My first email was from a woman who wanted 2 x 3 hour sessions a week but she couldnt commit to when they would be so I would have basically had to give up a full time place for her. I said I would do it to start with but then emailed her before she came to visit explaining that it would cost me a lot of money to basically do her a favour! The little boy I have taken on is only coming one 6 hour session a week and I am wondering how that will work out. Will take me as long to fill in paperwork!

Love

Debbie

Spangles
04-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Because it's brother and sister I was thinking of them in my head as one person but of course they are completely separate so they're just 2.5 hours a week each with loads of extra hours on top by me for nothing!

The more I think about it the more gutted I feel!

I'm trying to persuade myself it's not that bad, it's two more children for evidence for Ofsted, it's more experience, it's another reference hopefully, I can use them as guinea pigs!!!? In the nicest possible way!

Nope, I'm still cheesed off! Ha ha!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Why am I such a bimbo!!?

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Lorri dont be so hard on yourself i have made loads of mistakes and boo boo's since starting, its all a huge learning curve to start with we just have to learn from it for next time. xxx

chin up chuck xxx

emler
04-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Don't be too disappointed Lorri. When I first got started I took on a family of 3 kids just one afternoon a week. I thought I had made a mistake by agreeing to it because it would mean I couldn't take on a full timer etc etc but its worked out brilliantly as within a month it led to more hours and as of this month it will be even more hours. I earn a fair amount from this family now so stay positive!

Emler x

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Don't be too disappointed Lorri. When I first got started I took on a family of 3 kids just one afternoon a week. I thought I had made a mistake by agreeing to it because it would mean I couldn't take on a full timer etc etc but its worked out brilliantly as within a month it led to more hours and as of this month it will be even more hours. I earn a fair amount from this family now so stay positive!

Emler x

thats fantastic :)

sarah707
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I would do the minimum planning and obs Lorri ...

- one photo obs a month per child to go in a scrap book along with a few words relating the obs to birth to 3 / foundation stage

- whatever planning you've got in place already for a monthly festival or celebration - doesn't matter if it's the right week, so long as it's in the right month

- lots of going out and walks to the park and ducks (make a note in their file that they don't go out much so you're making an effort to do that with them)

- regular visits to the library to read around subjects they're doing at playgroup, nursery or enjoying at home - shows working with other settings and good home liaison... plus takes up an hour or so timewise

- plenty of free play opportunities as they get to know your toys etc... you can plan this retrospectively

- make full use of local groups on the days/times the children come - parent must pay for this though!

Think laterally - hopefully that should minimise the angst a bit! :D

angeldelight
04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Sorry Lorri only just catching up

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

Lou
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi Lorri, only just seen this sorry.

Dont beat yourself up, as you said it will be great experience for you and sarah has given you some great ideas.

You never know it might lead to more hours.

Regards the fees, i would suggest that you tell her you are happy to provide the lunch, but the fee will go up accordingly If she is unhappy with that then sh will have to provide his lunch.

Lou
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
oooohhhhhhhh that was my 600th post!!!

angeldelight
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree with everyone Lorri do not beat yourself up

Well done Lou

Angel xx

Mollymop
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
A minder i know gave the parents the option of being charged £3.30 per hour with snacks and meals provided or £3.00 per hour if they provide their own, i thought this was a good idea, maybe you could approach the parent with this? Do it according to the fees you charge in your area.

Good idea Mrsbumbles!!

Lorri, I think u should ask the parent for an extra bit of money due to food as by the time you have fed him you will only be left with a little bit and doesn't seem worth it.
Hopefully the parent should understand. I would if I were the parent.

Hope you feel better today XX

BIG HUGS

Spangles
05-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies!

They came round this morning for a settling in session - went really well - but I got my courage up and asked her if she would mind supplying him with a packed lunch and she said that was absolutely fine because she realises it's not really worth my while to do so I am much happier!

Doesn't change the fact that it's only a handful of hours a week but you never know what will happen and it's all extra money and experience so I feel much happier indeed!

You live and learn!

Thank you!

Monkey1
05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
It will work out Lorri x

emler
05-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Glad you are feeling alot better about the situation today Lorri. Fingers crossed it leads to more hours

Emler x