PDA

View Full Version : Baby Showers

Becci26
07-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Have you had one yourself or thrown one for somebody else?

Or are u not keen on the idea of showering somebody with gifts before baby has even arrived?

What's the etiquette? Should u buy a gift for the shower and then another when baby makes an appearance?

I have been to a few over the last couple of years and have another one to attend on Sunday. I must say I am of mixed opinion in them, I like the social side of things but dislike the expectancy of having to buy a gift...

What are your thoughts?

munch149
07-06-2013, 08:19 AM
I would buy for the shower but not when baby arrives. I had one and the only people who bought again when baby came was immediate family because the wanted to not because they felt they should.

I enjoyed it its a nice little celebration as you don't feel up to much the first few weeks after baby is born.

angeldelight
07-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I have never been to one:laughing:

Always end up buying the gift though

So not sure what my thoughts are on them really

I've been invited just always at busy times

I don't really know many that have had them

Angel xx

Tealady
07-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Only been to one.

Hated the games but nice to get together with friends.

I don't like buying for Bubs before it arrives so I got something for Mum like some flowers or some nice smellies. I then bought the baby a gift once it's born.

My best friend is currently expecting. I think it will be assumed by some friends that I will be organising a shower. I know she hates the games side too so think I'll just book an afternoon tea at the local posh hotel.

Becci26
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I have never been to one:laughing:

Always end up buying the gift though

So not sure what my thoughts are on them really

I've been invited just always at busy times

I don't really know many that have had them

Angel xx

They certainly seem to be getting more popular over the last couple of years, there seems to be lots having them that I hear of via fb.

Think I put my friends nose out of joint when she was talking about hers the other week when I said it's not really my thing...

I think I was put off by a good friend of mine who had a 'surprise' baby shower and then spent the next however long grumbling about the things she got!
She was given a lovely set of pampering things with a nice bag and after most people had left turned round and said she didn't like it and wouldn't use it, and promptly gave it to someone else! Seemed so ungrateful!!

Also find it hard to buy a gift when you don't know the sex so the person just ends up with lots of neutral bits :/

Becci26
07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Only been to one.

Hated the games but nice to get together with friends.

I don't like buying for Bubs before it arrives so I got something for Mum like some flowers or some nice smellies. I then bought the baby a gift once it's born.

My best friend is currently expecting. I think it will be assumed by some friends that I will be organising a shower. I know she hates the games side too so think I'll just book an afternoon tea at the local posh hotel.

That sounds lovely tealady, I'm sure she'll enjoy that, was thinking about taking my friend out for afternoon tea actually, she too is pregnant and due 2 weeks after me, but our husbands have told us to hold fire as they are going to organise something for the 2 of us!

A group of my friends have clubbed together and treated me to a massage, can't wait to have it :-) much more up my street!

Tealady
07-06-2013, 11:47 AM
That sounds lovely tealady, I'm sure she'll enjoy that, was thinking about taking my friend out for afternoon tea actually, she too is pregnant and due 2 weeks after me, but our husbands have told us to hold fire as they are going to organise something for the 2 of us!

A group of my friends have clubbed together and treated me to a massage, can't wait to have it :-) much more up my street!

How Fab!... much better than sniffing brown foodstuffs in nappies and playing hunt the baby in the garden!

Chimps Childminding
07-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I went to one my sil organised for my niece. No games thankfully!!! Not really my sort of thing especially as it was mostly my niece's friends so I felt a bit out of place! I had made up a basket filled with Johnson's baby products, a blanket, bib, nail scissors, brush/comb, teddy etc. so I took that with me. I think it is another American custom that has found it way over here, bit like trick or treating (don't like that either) - or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy :D

jillplum
07-06-2013, 01:12 PM
I used to live on the other side of the atlantic and had two surprise baby showers. We had lovely food and a cake and I got loads of lovely baby things. I loved it.