PDA

View Full Version : How to advice parents about healthy eating

toddlers896
05-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Ime in the process of doing my newsletter and was gonna put something in their about bringing healthy bits in the packed lunch box.dont know how to word it though without offending them.any advice please
X

Nicola Carlyle
05-06-2013, 05:09 PM
How about doing a healthy eating policy. State that after much research and evidence you have decided that you would like your setting to a healthy eating setting. Your aim is teach the children about the benefits healthy eating and how important it is they eat healthily to support their bodies and immune system to keep everything working as it should be. Just state that because of this you are asking all parents to support you on this which means you would ask them not to send things like crisps and chocolate bars, chocolate sandwiches etc in their packed lunches. Maybe also say that will of course have treats for occasional snacks like cakes cookies etc but there will be more emphasis on healthy choices and the children will be encouraged to help you plan, choose, prepared and eat these.

natalieatk
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
My school does this and from a parent with a picky child I would be offended - however I understand what your point is!!

My child has cheese of ham sandwiches - angel cake and 2 frubes!
That is all she will eat and on a fri she can have crisps! She won't eat raisins or fruit or veg! Not even wraps!! My 2nd child prefers fruit and veg to sweets and her pack lunch is rammed with health food!!

I think you have to be-careful how you word it as some may take it the wrong way.

I provide food In my setting so can control what children eat, we have a variety of different think and parents are aware if they don't like what I feed they can provide pack lunch.

Nicola Carlyle
05-06-2013, 07:08 PM
I agree that some parents may be offended but then why not introduce a treat day. Our school provided a hot meals throughout the week or you can have a packed lunch. They are a healthy eating school to but in a Friday have a treat day and have fish and chips etc so most parents allow their child to have a treat in their packed lunch box that day. I think everything in moderation is fine. I draw the line at chocolate spread sandwiches, chocolate bar, cake, packet of crisps, packet of sweets and a chocolate biscuit! It's shocking the amount of crap some people will allow their kids to eat. All because they can't be bothered to deal with tantrums. X

sarah707
06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
You could ask at your local Children's Centre - they will have leaflets you can hand out. Say as part of your healthy eating policy you would like parents to support you...

Hopefully they will recognise the benefits for their child - and this comes from the parent of a child who is now an adult and the pickiest eater I have ever met :rolleyes:

Bless her we hid fruit and veg in everything :laughing:

bexsfox
13-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Maybe speak to your local primary school and adopt their policy if possible in preparation for children eventually going to school?