PDA

View Full Version : shift work 3 days on 3 days off

amy83
04-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I have had an enquiry from a lady who works 3 days on then 3 days off. So will b different days each and not always the same amount of days each depending on how shifts fall. How do I go about pricing for it please x.

Kiddleywinks
04-06-2013, 10:18 PM
My shift worker is slightly different as it's always 3 days just never know which ones, so I charge full fee for 3 days, half fee for 2 days as a retainer as I can't use that space for someone else.
With 3 days on and 3 days off you will definitely be working at least 2 days a week, so maybe charge full fee for 2 days, half fee for 3, and parent can top up from half to full when needed...?

natalieatk
05-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I agree with kiddy winks! I used to do those shifts years ago!! 2 days full sounds reasonable and half for other 3 and top up to 3 full when needed!

amy83
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Thank you for the advice. I thought the charge of 2 fulls and 3 halfs wiv top up for extras was a gd way of doing it. So I approached the parent with this and I was told that the other childminder only charged her 24 each each weather she did 2 or 3 days and asked y I was doing different. But surely the other childminder is on quite a big loser with keeping the other spaces free her. I really don't want to go any lower it just hard I no wen she comes to look round I will probs get put on the spot with some question over this x.

blue bear
08-06-2013, 11:39 PM
STick to your decision, if you don't it will eat away at you. If the other childminder only charges x then maybe the parent should stick with this other minder.

Could it be that other minder can no longer afford such a generous arrangement and has given notice?

Kiddleywinks
08-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Thank you for the advice. I thought the charge of 2 fulls and 3 halfs wiv top up for extras was a gd way of doing it. So I approached the parent with this and I was told that the other childminder only charged her 24 each each weather she did 2 or 3 days and asked y I was doing different. But surely the other childminder is on quite a big loser with keeping the other spaces free her. I really don't want to go any lower it just hard I no wen she comes to look round I will probs get put on the spot with some question over this x.

Stay with her then :thumbsup:

You are a businesswoman, the other childminder is also a businesswoman, you run your businesses differently, you might include food with your fees, other minder may charge extra for food, that's what parents get to decide from:
Two businesses offering different things, if she doesn't like your terms, then she should continue to shop around, but if she likes you and your setting, then that's your fee, take it or leave it

I also take with a pinch of salt anyone saying well so and so does x, y, and z
I give a nod and a smile and 'oh how lovely, I don't, I do a, b and c instead'

bunyip
09-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Stay with her then :thumbsup:

You are a businesswoman, the other childminder is also a businesswoman, you run your businesses differently, you might include food with your fees, other minder may charge extra for food, that's what parents get to decide from:
Two businesses offering different things, if she doesn't like your terms, then she should continue to shop around, but if she likes you and your setting, then that's your fee, take it or leave it

I also take with a pinch of salt anyone saying well so and so does x, y, and z
I give a nod and a smile and 'oh how lovely, I don't, I do a, b and c instead'

I agree totally.

This rather sounds like the classic case of a parent who finds a really good CM but want to pay the cheaper fee quoted by a less good one. It's the same sort of person who wants to book the penthouse suite at the Savoy hotel for the price of a back-street bed& breakfast. :rolleyes:

amy83
09-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Thank you again I'm sticking by my guns she is coming to look round next week so will see what she says. But apparently not happy with other cm as doesn't do anything with her child x

bunyip
09-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Thank you again I'm sticking by my guns she is coming to look round next week so will see what she says. But apparently not happy with other cm as doesn't do anything with her child x

Good for you. :)

She wants a better CM than her current one: she needs to be prepared to pay for your quality. :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
09-06-2013, 06:52 PM
But apparently not happy with other cm as doesn't do anything with her child x

Maybe that's because the other minder isn't getting the money she should be to enable her to do 'extras' without being out of pocket :thumbsup:

Stapleton83
09-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I agree with the other comments she wants it every which way cheap rates and a great childminder, well sorry it is not going to happen. If she raises it again when she comes around I would probably say something like I understand what you are saying but I would be unlikely to be able to fill the days you don't need but clearly if it is a major issue for you then I am not the right childminder for you. At the end of the day you are worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sam x

DianeR
11-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I was interested in reading your thread as I have 2 Mums who work shifts and its very difficult to know what to charge at times. One of them I have there daughter before school one week and after school for a couple of hours the following week. However she also often changes shifts at work and changes times with me so I am charging for before and after school on both weeks. Seems fair to me as I can't let anyone have the space as she is full time holidays.
The other Mum works a couple of twelve hour shifts and two 6 hr shifts. This makes it a 13 hour and 7 hr day. I don't charge her anything when she isn't here, they also change over two weeks too. I feel she is having to pay out a lot as it is. Tough decision making sometimes in child-minding!
I think the full and half idea is a pretty good one! Can we justify it though for people who are receiving help with tax credits?

amy83
21-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Judt to let you all no the lady never came for a visit in the end, after first saying she had been busy and wud rearrange next but didn't x