PDA

View Full Version : NVQ OR DHC (USED TO BE ICP)

deb24
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Can anyone tell me which course is best to do.I know Unit 1 on the Diploma in Home Based Child Care (DHC)is compulsary.At the meeting I went to last night they said you can either continue to do the other units on the DHC,or do an NVQ3.
I just wondered if anyone has done both courses or which one is best to do.

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm doing the DHC but do not know which is best to be honest i was told everyone needed to have a level 3 by 2008 so got cracked on with it after unit 1

xxx

Raggydolls
04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm actually doing the NVQ Level 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development (CCLD for short) i chose this one because if i decide to stop childminding it means i can go into any childcare work, say a creche and work without supervision, i believe its a better course for that reason whereas the DHC is just for childminding

correct me if im wrong someone

Leanne
xx

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm actually doing the NVQ Level 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development (CCLD for short) i chose this one because if i decide to stop childminding it means i can go into any childcare work, say a creche and work without supervision, i believe its a better course for that reason whereas the DHC is just for childminding

Leanne
xx

no i think you are right Leanne but our tutor said that there are a lot of nurserys etc that would accept a DHC if you wanted to go down that route but i never willso didnt matter to me xxx

sarah707
04-01-2008, 05:16 PM
The dhc gives you exactly what it says... a home-based childcare qualification.

If you ever want to get into the big wide world of nurseries, playgroups, schools etc., an nvq will better qualify you.

Lou
04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I start the restof the dhc next tues, tbh i forgot i had booked on to it lol

Rubybubbles
05-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Leanne
xx

thats my reason too. I don't want to stop childminding but just incase it had to happen

lilliuspillius
06-01-2008, 08:31 AM
hi everyone. I have completed both the DHC and the NVQ level 3 CCLD this year, and have found them both really interesting. Personally I think the NVQ was easier than the DHC. But thats probably because i did the DHC via the NEC which is the distance learning route, and can be lonely at times!

Personally, i think the NVQ would be better to do overall, as this qualification can get you lots of other jobs, ie in nurseries, pre school, etc, whereas i believe the dhc, is purely home based!