PDA

View Full Version : First aid ?

kittymo
03-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Hallo When I first trained as a childminder I did a st johns, two day paediatric first aid course. In the mean time I have completed another first aid course as part of my training as a girl guide leader.This was a one day course called First response. My st johns is about to run out, does the other one cover me for minding??? I asked our regional officer and TBH didn't understand her reply. Still not sure, and don't want to pay so much if I don't need too. My first response course covered
-Management of incidents -roles and responsibilities
-Record keeping - information gathering
- First aid kits and their uses
- initial assessments
- Management of unconscious casualties
- Cause of unconsciousness - seizures, diabetes, heart attacks, head injuries, anaphylaxis.
- Resuscitation / CPR
- Choking
- Other breathing problems - asthma, hyperventilation.
- Bleeding - management and shock.
- Burns - electrical, friction, chemical, heat/cold - management.
- Muscle injuries- sprains and strains
- Bone injuries - fracture and dislocations
- Poisons - bites and stings
- Heat related conditions - hypothermia, sun stroke, heat exhaustion.
- Eye injuries.
- Foreign bodies - ears, nose, splinters.
- Medical emergencies - meningitis, sudden illness.

This is all directed towards children and I know teachers do this course too, so do i really need to book on another course?
thanks .:)

bunyip
03-06-2013, 09:48 AM
The only thing that matters about a course, from a regulatory point of view, is that it is approved by your local authority. End of. :thumbsup:

moggy
03-06-2013, 12:04 PM
The only thing that matters about a course, from a regulatory point of view, is that it is approved by your local authority. End of. :thumbsup:

Agree- talk to your LA, have your certificate to hand so you can tell them exactly what it is you have.