PDA

View Full Version : Planning for babies and the O word...

lisbet
02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
At the moment I care for siblings who are 6mths old. I don't have anyone else on the days I have them.

I am giving them plenty of time and space to practice moving and handling. I'm making sure they have a rich sensory environment: toys and safe interesting household/ natural objects to investigate; singing, music and simple books; getting outside to experience the feel of grass and dappled shade etc when possible; being ready to respond to smiles and babbles, and offer words of encouragement if they are trying hard to reach a toy.

My observation sheets (from LA) have room at the bottom to note down what resources/ activities I plan to provide to extend what I've observed, and at the moment it is a lot of "Continue to provide X with a range of interesting resources placed around the play space, to support his developing moving and handling skills". And that is pretty much it as far as planning goes. No 'activities' as such, no suitable groups we could go to on the days they are here.

I *think* I'm supporting their development okay, but I have a first inspection looming and I'm worried that Ofsted will say I'm not doing enough 'structured' planning etc.:confused: Advice would be welcome! :)

Rick
02-06-2013, 07:51 AM
I think you are doing the right things.....they won't yet understand activities as such. As long as you show Ofsted individual planning which supports their development and 'interests' then you will be fine.

blue bear
02-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Structured planning really isn't appropriate at this age, it should all be about the children what they like,what's in their best interest, their routines etc.
You sound like you are really in tune with them and are providing resources that are appropriate to their personal age and stage of development which is what it is all about for babies.

sarah707
02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
The focus of inspections seems to be 'learning intentions'.

Why are you planning sensory experiences for the children? What do you intend them to learn? Is it challenging and stimulating for them? Do the activities hold their interest? How do you ensure each child is individually accommodated? What do you expect them to learn ... did it happen... how can you extend it in the future?

Those sorts of questions :D

lisbet
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Thank you everyone x

I 'feel' like I'm doing okay for them and then I imagine my inspection and the fear sets in! Even being asked questions online by the lovely Sarah has got me flustered! I think I will start practicing answers to those sorts of questions now!

SammySplodger
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Interested in this thread as I have two just under 12 m and one just over. I find planning very difficult as I can't do it too far ahead as they are all changing so rapidly! Also seems pointless doing themes (am I right?!).

I am using PInterest and Toucan Learn for activities ideas - any other suggestions?