PDA

View Full Version : Development matters

danast
01-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Hi all :)

This may be a stupid question but i am having 2-3 children of under 2 to look after (all part timers ) and quite struggling to do observation on them and go out and do activities because they are so little still. It feels like if I have to get through all DM 's than I will never stop with paperwork.
So the question is:
Do we have to concentrate and observe all DM's or as long we show the child is progressing if the few of them are missed does it matter? I am due to have Odsted this year and I would love to keep my good :(
Thanks x

Rick
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
DM should not be a ticklist and therefore you will not be expected to have shown an obs on all statements-definitely not. I obviously try not to duplicate obs but generally I do not even think about what obs I have done previously, I observe what has happened then look at the DM statements.

Ofsted will be interested in seeing evidence of childrens' progression. They will be more interested in your summative assessments and individual planning. My inspector barely looked at my obs.

danast
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
So if i got it right,i dont have to stress that not all DM ave observation? They will not ask me why is certain DM not observed?
Also what ks f summaritive assesment you do and how often?

danast
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Stupid ipad

What i ment was that i dont have to stress if i dont observe all DM's?
And how do we do summative assesment,never done one before ?

Rick
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
No you don't have to cover every statement in DM. You normally focus on the three prime areas of development for under 3 year olds and start to add the specific areas when the child turns 3. That doesn't mean ignore the specific areas for under 3's but focus is on 3 prime areas.

My LA has provided us with the following summary assessment. You can do your own or ask your LA if they have something similar. Our LA wanted everyone to have similar paperwork. I fill this out and stick in the child's learning journal.

sandy64
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
thanks for sharing looks a good thing to do :)

sarah707
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
As Rick rightly says, it's important to see Development Matters as guidance and an overview of what a child MIGHT be doing - not a tick list or a child having to be observed doing everything it says!

You need to find a way to make it work for you so you take off the pressure and enjoy the children :D