PDA

View Full Version : CYPOP5 - Empowering question!

Newtochildcare
28-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Evening,

I'm just a bit stuck on the above. Here is the exact wording:

How will you make sure that children have an individual voice and true choices in your setting? Consider how you will empower children to make decisions in their daily routines? I need to give 4 examples. I think I'm on the right lines, and have done three, as follows:

1. I would teach older children how to cross the road safely, then, still under my supervision, encourage the children to cross the road safely, without my direction.
2. Give children the opportunity to choose aspects of dinner (i.e, would you like roast potatoes, or mashed potatoes) and then allow the children the opportunity then to contribute towards dinner (i.e. to assist with mashing the potatoes)
3. To help plan the activities for the following day/week. i.e discuss the options available, and allow them to choose from those.

Do these look the right kind of answers? Any more suggestions?! Especially if I'm totally on the wrong track!

Thanks! x (I'll probably have loads more questions the further I get through the unit, so be warned! :laughing:)

shortstuff
28-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Evening,

I'm just a bit stuck on the above. Here is the exact wording:

How will you make sure that children have an individual voice and true choices in your setting? Consider how you will empower children to make decisions in their daily routines? I need to give 4 examples. I think I'm on the right lines, and have done three, as follows:

1. I would teach older children how to cross the road safely, then, still under my supervision, encourage the children to cross the road safely, without my direction.
2. Give children the opportunity to choose aspects of dinner (i.e, would you like roast potatoes, or mashed potatoes) and then allow the children the opportunity then to contribute towards dinner (i.e. to assist with mashing the potatoes)
3. To help plan the activities for the following day/week. i.e discuss the options available, and allow them to choose from those.

Do these look the right kind of answers? Any more suggestions?! Especially if I'm totally on the wrong track!

Thanks! x (I'll probably have loads more questions the further I get through the unit, so be warned! :laughing:)

Im not so sure that the crossing the road is empowering? there is no decision for them to make just following your guidance?

i like the sound of the other two though x

funemnx
28-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Children can help make house rules?

Newtochildcare
28-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Gail Tracey, thanks. Good point! I've thought of another couple (taking child to shop for craft items then letting them choose colours and materials, and creating a photo book of items/resources which are out of the childs reach at setting, so they can let me know what they want to do, without me having to reel off a list of activities)

funemnx, I LOVE this one! Thanks. Have already thought of a couple of other ones for the empowerment bit (as it says about using daily routine) but have used your idea for How would you ensure a child felt welcomed and valued in your setting! fab, thanks! :clapping:

blue bear
28-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Resources on open shelving at child's level so they can self select. Daily chats about what they want to do that day, free access to outdoor play areas so children an choose for themselves. Listen to what the child like or want to do so even if you have planned to look at nu bets and children decide they want to catch the bis just adapt so the number activity is covered in the bus experience.
Plastic cups and plates in low cupboard so when young child is hungry they can indicate their need for drink or food by showing you the cup or plate.