PDA

View Full Version : Severe Tonsillitis

Zoomie
26-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Started with a sore throat on thurs, put myself to bed fri morning after collecting DD from school (she had been sick) and cancelled Friday pm mindees. Couldn't sleep Friday night cause shivering so much and so painful just to swallow.
Went to walk in centre and got antibiotics and anti inflammatories and spent the rest of this lovely weekend in bed. Feeling better now but still sore to swallow and constant headache, so don't want to work Tuesday.
Anyone had really bad dose of tonsillitis and how long were u down for. Want to let my parents know so that they can make arrangements but is it okay to play it day by day as I do want to minimise my days off cos obviously no pay.

winstonian
26-05-2013, 07:25 PM
I had it very badly last year. You have my sympathy :(
I went to the walk in centre on the Sunday, got antibiotics and had the Monday off then worked the rest of the week but still felt awful. I think if you can manage to have a couple of extra days off to shift it properly you would be much better off.
hope you feel better soon x

lisbet
26-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Glad Winstonian could advise. Hope you feel better very soon xx

bernesewalking
26-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi, my daughter had tonsillitis a couple of weeks ago, she got antibiotics on the Friday but the pain didnt start subsiding until the following Tuesday, she was only able to suck ice lollies, hope you feel better soon x

PixiePetal
26-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I have had it bad in the past and had a week off - it wasn't the throat that was the problem but I ached all over like flu and was really ill :( I was exhausted

The Juggler
26-05-2013, 10:12 PM
my dd had it really bad til she had them out last year. sometimes 4-5 days even after antibiotics. Best thing is keep the painkillers up every 4 hours, alternatiing paracetamol and ibuprofen every 2 hours even better. Lots of hot drinks. Manuka honey (5 or 10+ strenght) either a spoonful or in a hotdrink at least 3-4 times per day. Diflam anaesthetic spray.

hope you feel better soon x

Zoomie
28-05-2013, 11:48 AM
I decided to close Tuesday and then take it from there. However DD started with a fever on Sun and we've just got back from the GP. Also got bacterial tonsillitis so am closing till Friday now.

She has been given same antibiotic as me (liquid form) but OMG the tears to take the first spoon and we have 4 doses over 7 days to still get through. She'll only take tiny sips which just makes the whole process so much worse :( :(

mama2three
28-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Hope youre both feeling better soon.

my ds3 gets it a few times a year. Last time he was given 10 days of antibiotics. He came down with it on the last bank hol monday and went back to school on thursday. Doc said that the consultant at the hospital wont even accept referrals unless he has it 6 times in 12 months..that was the 5th time since last June. The worst part for him is the fever which I struggle to control even with ibuprofen and paracetamol , and the stiff sore neck from his swollen glands.

That reminds me of another rant whilst Im at it! Phoned the docs for an emergency appointment and they have a new triage system. The receptionist asks what the 2 main symptoms are , she gives the list to the nurse when she comes in , who then rings and offers appointment if she thinks you need it...
So Qs 2 main symptoms , genuinely , rocketing temperature and stiff sore neck. This was 8am when they opened. Receptionist tells me nurse will ring when she comes in between 10 and 1030. Surely they should at least be trained to recognise main symptoms of things like meningitis - 2 hours could put a childs life at risk. I knew it was tonsillitis but thats not the point.( steps off soapbox!)

shortstuff
28-05-2013, 02:00 PM
DS finished his 10 day course of penicillin yesterday n he's still got ulcers on his tonsils. the best the doctor could do is give him an appointment for friday! When I mentioned it to a friend she told me it took three courses for her son to fight it properly. It seems to be a particularly bad strain of it this time.

I hope you shift it sooner and start to feel more like yourself x

The Juggler
28-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Gail, my dd was like this. often they doubled her dose when we went back. while you are waiting, try the manuka honey - it has amazing antibacterial properties and in a warm drink with orange juice can help wonders.

My dd could also only drink original lucozade - not sure what it is about it - but she loved it - through a straw when she had tonsillitus

shortstuff
28-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks juggler i will give it a go. Im going to push for getting them removed too x

Zoomie
28-05-2013, 09:48 PM
As it was Saturday when I suddenly realised what was wrong with me (24 hours since I went to bed with it) and a bank holiday weekend, I opted for the Walk In Centre. Had to wait over a hour, but they did warn me and what choice did I have?

DH phoned for an appointment for DD at 8am (took 10 minutes to get through) and after he explained had a poorly child with raging temperature, they gave her an appointment at 0910 (eventhough they didn't have any until that afternoon).

Will definitely try the manuka honey, thanks everyone for your advise and experiences.

Mrs Scrubbit
28-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Hope you both feel better soon xx