PDA

View Full Version : New Childminder, 1st job!

lhayes3768
20-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone. Thankyou for having me.

As you can see above, I am new to this and have just accepted my first job. My question is, what paperwork will I need for the initial meet.

I have - Contract, policies and procedures and an 'about me' form for us to complete about the child, but I am sure I am missing something obvious.

Also, I am coming to the end of maternity leave, should I have officially left my job before taking on a childminding job, or can I hand my notice in and start childminding during my notice period.

Sorry about all the questions, I am very nervous.

CLL
21-05-2013, 06:19 AM
I don't know about maternity question, although I am pretty sure you can not be on maternity leave and working at the same time. (Could be wrong).

I have my permissions slip to sign as well along with the contracts, it is a few pages long. Individual signing boxes for each item. E.g. Sun tan cream, ellastoplasts, car trips etc.

I have my medical forms from the ncma pack allergies etc.

I also have a form which we both keep a copy of detailing the settling in days and times. I give 2 2hr and 1 4hr free sessions at the start.

shortstuff
21-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Im sure you would probably need to have worked your notice as you will need to be registered with HMRC as self employed to charge for minding?

Maybe check with HMRC on the phone?

It sounds like you have already been offered the perfect advice on paperwork so I cant add anything there x

rachelmama
21-05-2013, 10:27 AM
hi and welcome to our lovely forum :D

MiniKins
21-05-2013, 10:30 AM
When you are on maternity leave your work contract still applies.

Technically a person can be employed and self-employed at the same time unless your contract forbids it (either expressed or implied terms) and it would interfere with your ability to carry out your normal expected duties (for example working in a bar in the evenings would usually be fine).

I would look at it like this: If you were not on maternity leave (i.e. still at work with your employer) would it be acceptable for you to childmind as you intend at the same time?

But my personal point of view is, if your employer has kept your job open for you, perhaps topped up your maternity pay, considered you for promotion and pay rises as they should do, and is expecting you to return to work, it might have been nice to tell them you had no intention of going back as soon as you knew!

(that's not intended to be nasty to a newcomer, it's just Mr MiniKins is very old and opinionated ~ the exception rather than the rule here ~ but I do try to help out when I can!).