PDA

View Full Version : feeling sick :( first grading due

starschildmind
20-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi all

Im so scared. I have my first inspection in the next three weeks.
Its so bad im having dreams about getting an inadequate... im so scared.

Can anyone give me an pointers. Im looking at my stuff and think i should get a good.. but i dont know. Satisfacorty in not an option for me.

I have good resources. Natural and other. I have good visual aids. Good out door space. I have developmental logs. Observations, next steps, progress wheels and trackers.
I have planning. Evaluations and sef.
Im sending out questionaires to parents this week as i have been running 3 months. I also have strong links with pre-schools. Schools ans childrens centre and can evidence this also.

Anything else i may have missed.. im pooping it.. :(

Thank youuu xx

Petshrinklj
20-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Best of luck :) I'm sure you will be fine

MessybutHappy
20-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I know it's easy to say, but do try not to worry! It's often not as bad as you'd think, many of us have had wonderful inspections where we've been able to show off our settings and our wonderful children. Also, the fact that you are looking to make sure you are "good" is a pretty good start, so have confidence.

I think the key is to be able to demonstrate progression and a good understanding of the children in your care that day. So if you have a child who's speech is a little delayed, you might have selected an activity to aid him for example.

Have a good look at the feedback we've all left, you'll get lots of tips from there. For me the SEF was a fab tool - the inspector used this to answer many of the questions that she might otherwise have asked, so we were able to focus on my understanding of the little ones I was caring for.

Also, be yourself! Be relaxed with the children, they'll respond better, but if you know there is likely to be a tricky point or a child may have an issue with something, then let the inspector know. I asked mine not to arrive before 9.45 so we were able to get over the transition into the setting because a lo has always found this difficult.

With three weeks notice, you know you'll be up to date with all your paperwork and you have lots of time to run through the feedback on here and the info in the resources section.

Let us know how you get on!

Tealady
20-05-2013, 03:35 PM
There is anecdotal evidence that suggests some inspectors will only give satisfactory and nothing higher on a first inspection. They say that is the rule. However it is not.

I don't know if Ofsted would do this, but I'd email them and say you have your inspection and have heard you will only get "Satisfactory" and ask then if this is true. Then when they respond hopefully by email to say that is isn't the case you can get a better grade, print of your email and stick it under the inspectors nose if they spin you the satisfactory line.

Might not work but I'd say it's worth a shot.

Rick
20-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi all

Im so scared. I have my first inspection in the next three weeks.
Its so bad im having dreams about getting an inadequate... im so scared.

Can anyone give me an pointers. Im looking at my stuff and think i should get a good.. but i dont know. Satisfacorty in not an option for me.

I have good resources. Natural and other. I have good visual aids. Good out door space. I have developmental logs. Observations, next steps, progress wheels and trackers.
I have planning. Evaluations and sef.
Im sending out questionaires to parents this week as i have been running 3 months. I also have strong links with pre-schools. Schools ans childrens centre and can evidence this also.

Anything else i may have missed.. im pooping it.. :(

Thank youuu xx

You will be fine, just make sure you show you and your setting off as much as possible, get all your evidence ready and interact with the children during the inspection as this is what the inspector will be most interested in.
Have a look for graded inspection feedback threads on the forum, there are plenty! Unfortunately some people are reporting that the inspector says you cannot get higher than satisfactory on your first inspection despite being worthy of higher. If that happens unfortunately there is nothing you can do at the time but you can consider your response after.
Hopefully you will get a good inspector, mine gave me GOOD, and it is possible to get outstanding on your first one.
Good luck :thumbsup:

shortstuff
20-05-2013, 04:06 PM
My inspector was one that said you could only get a satisfactory. One thing she did praise me on was letting the children self select in between tasks I had set for them.

For example we made play dough as the little ones are adverse to getting dirty hands. they then had free play while we tidied up. Next we set up painting using both hands and feet dipped in the paint to make some really cool pictures. She liked the activities and the outcomes I wanted from them.

That would be my main advice to you. Let the children show their little characters as well as you setting up some things for them to do. Be clear what the outcome of your experience should be for each of the little ones also.

I love the advice about getting the official line from ofsted via an email too. Good luck with it and please let us know how it goes.

starschildmind
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I got a good with outstanding outcomes :-D chuffed!!! Xx

leeanne910
08-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Well done x

lozzy23
08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Great news. Well done xxx

shortstuff
08-06-2013, 04:53 PM
thats brilliant, congratulations x