PDA

View Full Version : perfect job...

Karen1
20-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi

I am currently in the process of setting up as a childminder. it is taking so long. crbs have been in process for 6 weeks,and on weekend OH broke the computer and lost all my saved polices-to say i was unhappy, is an understatement...... anyway

my husband is wanting a new job, so i am searching for him and I find my perfect job, ten minutes walk from my house, part time 16 hours. something that i have been searching for a long time. and one that probably wont come up again for a long time.

now dilemma, do i go for this job?

job and childmind
or
just childmind?

ohh wish i hadnt been looking for OH now. Men!

do other childminders here have two jobs?

as this job is 16 hours, i assume it will be over three days, that leaves two days to childmind. now is this enough?? or will i have just wasted all my money and time is paying the course, training or shall i do it and see if i even get an interview?

really wish i hadnt seen it then i wouldnt be thinking about it.

advice...what would you do?

FussyElmo
20-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Why don't you apply and see what happens.

It wont hurt to apply and take it from there.

Petshrinklj
20-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Why don't you apply and see what happens.

It wont hurt to apply and take it from there.

Was going to say exactly this. Go for it and se what happens. Good luck.

clareelizabeth1
20-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Go for it and often you will find parents who want childcare part time. Could of been fate finding the job.

Supernanny86
20-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep I was going to say exactly the same! You have everything to gain and nothing to lose!! I'm sure you'd find some families only needing part time :)

Mrs Scrubbit
20-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi, go for it! I have two families who both only require 2 days care( one is a pair of siblings) x

Chimps Childminding
20-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I agree with everyone else - apply and see how it goes!! 16 hours could even be over 2 days which would then leave you 3 days to childmind!! You have nothing to lose by applying!!

Good luck, let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

tulip0803
20-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Go for it. I have been working 3 days and childminding up to 4 days (fool I know) for the last 4 years. Continue with your application and you can make a decision either way or do both when you know more. Not everyone enjoys childminding and not everyone enjoys working more than childminding IYSWIM. Until Easter I was full on both Mon & Fri (my minding days) for LOs, then one LO started school and one of my Monday children moved into his Friday space so I have 2 spaces on Monday at min.

I am hoping to start childminding full time again soon

Karen1
20-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to put the application in and see if I get an interview. Fingers crossed.

Kirstylob
20-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

rachelmama
20-05-2013, 06:33 PM
hi I was wondering what is the job :D
I am also in the process of becoming a cm but I also work 2 night shift a week 15 hours but at the mo on maternity leave

Good luck :thumbsup:

benandjerrys
20-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I work night shifts too and once registered will keep it going for 3 months until my 3rd child starts being minded. I don't think I could successfully mind and work in my current job. Something would def have to give but that's just me. Suppose it depends on your current family situation and finances.

Glitter
20-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I run an After School Club from 3pm to 6pm weekdays, so I can only childmind until 2.30pm. So far I work 2 days a week childminding and during the school holidays for older children. I have found lots of childminders will not take on children for one day a week, or just a few hours a day, so I ask them to pass on my details as I am happy to take these children on.

I would say apply for the job and if you get it do both. It is hard work doing two jobs, but it can be fun. I find the After School Club keeps me in touch with the 'real world' so I do not feel as isolated as I would if I only minded. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Karen1
21-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi
The job is what my main training is-doing sign language, but its combined with organising training courses. Finding a part time sign language job ,ten min walk from my house is perfect and the money is good-it would mean I could save a deposit to move house. Also i will be close to kids for school etc. but still don't what hours are yet!
I still want to do childminding but worried that having only couple of days will restrict the number of enquiries I get. Plus the reason I am going to childmind is to be there for my kids on the school run etc and school holidays if I did get the job it would mean someone else having to do that and I would have childcare costs, as have no family close by to help out.
Really in two minds.
I really wanted to do the childminding with the aim of one day opening my own nursery. So wanted to give it my all.
Other thought is the job would give guaranteed income, if the childminding didn't work out.

It's all my husbands fault if I wasn't looking for him then I wouldn't be thinking about this. He can just choose any job he wants and not worry about childcare,travelling or anything.

Dilemma and don't even know if I will get an interview r if the hours are ok for me .
K