PDA

View Full Version : Fire drill and small children

itsybitsyteeny
17-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I understand it's good practice to have a fire drill regularly. If I have a young child around 1 do I still need to make 'the loud noise' on the fire alarm.. bit alarming for little ones no?

JCrakers
17-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I have a regular fire alarm but I don't set off the alarm because it upset the children..when I started minding, one 7yr old had a nightmare about the house burning down so I didn't do it again.
I'm not sure what other people do but all the older children know what to do and for the little ones it would be me that instigated the evacuation so as long as I practised then that's ok :)

blue bear
17-05-2013, 07:16 PM
We only haver paper fire practices for the after school children but for the little ones (don't have then together) we have to pop out to the car or whatever, thus the fire drill is practised but no anxiety experienced by the children. I've had three fires in my house (small ones) and the smoke alarm never went off for any of them .

clareelizabeth1
17-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I used to burn toast at least once a week so we practised it then. They never panicked just went "claaaaree" got up and went out. I only said I did it on purpose the first time after that they believed it was a drill and not my amazingly brilliant ability to burn 3/4 of toast I make.