PDA

View Full Version : Just had the call from THE FOOD INSPECTOR!!

Wiggle Wiggle
14-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi all,

Just had an interesting telephone call from the Environmental Health Team stating that they are coming to inspect my premises for a Food Hygiene inspection!

I am registered as part of being a childminder and was I thought always low risk so would not be inspected - never heard of a childminder being inspected before! After all family home and private?!?

I do wish to state that I have no problem with this - implementing all necessary paperwork for this already.

Just wondering if this is new for Childminders or if others have experience of food hygiene inspections?

Many thanks in advance.

hectors house
14-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I know lots of childminders in my area who had them when they first registered but touch wood I haven't had one - I had a telephone interview - luckily he couldn't see the half full tin of beans in my fridge and the soggy cucumber in the salad drawer :laughing:

The people I do know who had an inspector visit said that they didn't hardly look at anything - so don't throw away all your old baking trays and spend hours cleaning the oven - they just wanted to have a chat about knowing the correct way to do things and procautions you need to take. Good luck

natalieatk
14-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Iv been inspected I got 5*

They look I your fridge to make sure your storing food correctly youl need to apply for a safer food better business folder and fill in the forms,
They go though some questions with you bout hygiene and the also looked at t hand washing facilities like kitchen and toilet

Mouse
14-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Have you got a copy of the Safer Food Better Business for Childminders pack?

I thought completing that took away the need for visits, although it seems very hit & miss, depending which are of the country you're in. If visits do take place, some seem very informal, while some are very stringent.

There might be some useful info here:

Food Standards Agency - Childminders (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/startingup/childminders/#.UZIrJLU4uSo)

skatie
14-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Question: do we have to register as a food provider with the Food Standards Agency and do a food hygiene course out of interest? (Sorry to hijack your thread)

hectors house
14-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Question: do we have to register as a food provider with the Food Standards Agency and do a food hygiene course out of interest? (Sorry to hijack your thread)

If you provide any food other than pre packaged snacks or serve up food sent by parents then yes you do need to register and do a course. Even with serving food supplied by parent you still need to be aware of storage and re-heating guidelines.

sarah707
14-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Heaven Scent had an inspection... you could ask her for more information.

The requirement to do a course depends on where you live - it is good practice but not normally required.

Hth :D

samb
14-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I had an inspection. It lasted all of 20 -30 minutes. Think he couldn't wait to leave my house with lunch time with 3 little ones lol! He sat with me in my living area and asked me questions about food safety - how I store items, what I use to clean, how often, how do I prepare food etc. He didn't open my fridge or cupboard just looked into the kitchen and said "yes, it's a kitchen" lol! I had previously done food hygiene and filled out the info pack so that probably helped. Most round here have had them. Some 2-3 times.

Jenna
14-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I had a inspection from environmental health when I first registered it was fine he just went through the file with me recommended I bought a food prob to be on the safe side when re heating food and that was about it. Low and behold a few months later the inspectors wife phoned to come and look round and I know look after there daughter so all was very good here. :)

Wiggle Wiggle
14-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you for info and your responses. Gees I am going on overdrive with my kitchen now! Ha ha! It is clean but am thinking she sounded so funny on the phone (stated when I asked her about the fact I was a Childminder and the inspection puzzled me that she could give me just 24 hours notice and inspect me:eek:) I do not think I will be eating in the kitchen never mind prepare food for about 3 days before she arrives lol!

Thank you Mouse for the link - I have the pack although ordered a new one today in case they have up-dated it - mine is a few years old! Also as they have no refills for the diary in stock at the present time as I wanted to ensure I could show I was super prepared and have a spare one just in case I run out:p

On the point of courses Skatie one of the questions I was asked over the phone today was had I my course done which was good! So I would probably say yes. Also need to register with your local borough/council depending on where you live as all others have replied as well. :)

littlemiss60561
14-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi
I've been inspected and your lucky getting 24 hours notice! I got 3!! I got a call at 11 and asked if they could come now. I said no were off out but will be back after 2 ( I lied.. And Should have said longer , but was put on the spot and thought it would look suss, esp as it was!) omg we had been doing THE messiest painting activity... In my playroom, with a child that liked to paint everywhere but the paper that particular day. I hadn't washed up the breakfast things let alone needing to cook and feed them lunch ( of all the days mum wanted cooked not sandwich lunch ) pictures drying in the kitchen etc. now I would have cleaned up before cooking anyway, but not under the pressure I was! All of a sudden I saw how untidy my kitchen really was. My cupboard doors suddenly looked filthy... they werent, but..
Got it done, and managed to get 2/3 children down for their naps around 2 !
I had heard horror stories of them checking behind cupboards and swabbing this that and the other! He didn't do any f that. Just asked lots of questions, looked through my folder ( which miraculosly now contained a few entries of "threw out out of date ham from fridge" etc lol ) I made sure I did a lot of talking, which I think stopped him asking much more so that I would shut up! He checked and probed food in the fridge , washed his hands and luckily I had paper towels full up at the kitchen sink too and not just the downstairs loo where we all usually wash our hands. He couldn't see them at first and was about to comment when I showed him where they were!

Good luck x

Kiddleywinks
15-05-2013, 05:48 AM
I had an inspection. It lasted all of 20 -30 minutes.

:angry: 3 hours mine was here for, on my day off!!

I was downgraded to a 4 due to herbs on the window sill (even though the pots are in an additional high sided container for watering, and away from my food prep and serving areas), because I didn't have different coloured gloves, bowl and cloth for cleaning vomit (I had disposable gloves, an old bucket, and a stash of new cloths under the sink that I would use and bin in that event - which wasn't good enough apparently :panic:), and I didn't have a food thermometer - £7 I think from Wilkinsons :thumbsup:

LauraS
15-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Mine lasted fifteen minutes, and she didn't look round the kitchen - just asked questions.

On the plus side, I got dh to spend three hours deep cleaning the kitchen for me ;D

lisbet
15-05-2013, 03:37 PM
I read this thread yesterday, and lo and behold, I got the call myself today! :laughing:

I've got a week :thumbsup: Off to clean the oven...:rolleyes:

Wiggle Wiggle
30-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Hello,

Well just to up-date on my Food Hygiene Inspection – I got a call at 10:00am this morning just at the time the inspector was due to arrive and she was sitting in her office telling me how it’s a grey area whether or not Childminders get inspected like Nurseries!! Therefore my inspection had been cancelled. :angry:

I can not believe it – I have spent so many hours deep cleaning the kitchen, replacing and buying a lot of new items like in a kitchen that expects to get inspected requires. Spending all of the Bank Holiday weekend ensuring paper work is correct and even up-dated Food Hygiene Certificate to ensure recent. :mad:

I can tell you for a full ten minutes I absolutely gave her a piece of my mind. I was already on tender hooks as the valve went on the washing machine this morning and flooded the utility (what a morning for it) – other half got a second shower for free that he did not expect and cleaned it all up bless him! :thumbsup:

Plus a Looked After Child I mind had her contact session cancelled where I was not informed by anyone had got her all ready for a no show which was disappointing for her although and hence the late post I have taken her out for the morning and as a treat took her for lunch.

More though on this grey area – interesting a meeting was held supposedly with the Manager’s in the council where I am living on whether or not to inspect Childminders. Their thought process is that Childminders could be like a nursery and so need to be inspected although have decided to have another meeting on this coming Monday to fully decide and then will be informed if I will be inspected or not. Daft I think as to cancel an inspection with no notice is crazy. I duly informed her of the regulations which clearly and easily state whether a setting is a nursery or a childminder and that it was not acceptable to cancel at such a late stage. I also duly informed her that when she contacted me to find out if I was a nursery or a Childminder that I did inform her that I was a Childminder. She accepted that is what I had stated as I did query her on the inspection of a Childminder in a private home that would be similar to a catering business. Her reply was ‘but I was on holidays last week’. Surely someone had her diary and was able to see who was due to be inspected and would have had the courtesy to contact me to inform me it had been cancelled.

Rant over!

shortstuff
30-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I have to say I thought it was automatic to be inspected when you register with them. I was before I started up. It was easy, the guy barely looked at anything. Maybe the smell of bleach everywhere helped?

CMinderMandy
25-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Had mine 2 weeks ago and what a pain he was ( could swear he just left school and did everything by the book ! )

Anyway got a 5 but said i needed to have " documented food safety management system " Despite following HPA guide lines and completed food safety / hygiene course.

So sorry for asking but what do i put in the management system / where can i get one of these to be printed off ? Or do i use the pack he left me with ?

Thanks

rickysmiths
25-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Yes you do have to register but it isn't with the Food Standards Agency. You phone your Local Council and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Dept. They may ask a few questions and send you a form to fill in and that may be the last you hear. They may come out and do an inspection. I know many cms who have had regular inspections for years, they are nothing to worry about as long as your frige and kitchen are clean and tidy and all the food you have including packets etc are all in date.

They don't like pets food and water in the kitchen and some don't like potted plants in the kitchen, apart from that it is nothing to worry about.

rickysmiths
25-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Had mine 2 weeks ago and what a pain he was ( could swear he just left school and did everything by the book ! )

Anyway got a 5 but said i needed to have " documented food safety management system " Despite following HPA guide lines and completed food safety / hygiene course.

So sorry for asking but what do i put in the management system / where can i get one of these to be printed off ? Or do i use the pack he left me with ?

Thanks

The only document you need is Safer Food Better business for childminders there is a link to it in one of the other posts. It is free and they will send a copy in a few days. It is too much to print off and as they send it to you free. All you will need is a folder to put it in as they don't send it in one any more.

rickysmiths
25-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Hello,

Well just to up-date on my Food Hygiene Inspection – I got a call at 10:00am this morning just at the time the inspector was due to arrive and she was sitting in her office telling me how it’s a grey area whether or not Childminders get inspected like Nurseries!! Therefore my inspection had been cancelled. :angry:

I can not believe it – I have spent so many hours deep cleaning the kitchen, replacing and buying a lot of new items like in a kitchen that expects to get inspected requires. Spending all of the Bank Holiday weekend ensuring paper work is correct and even up-dated Food Hygiene Certificate to ensure recent. :mad:

I can tell you for a full ten minutes I absolutely gave her a piece of my mind. I was already on tender hooks as the valve went on the washing machine this morning and flooded the utility (what a morning for it) – other half got a second shower for free that he did not expect and cleaned it all up bless him! :thumbsup:

Plus a Looked After Child I mind had her contact session cancelled where I was not informed by anyone had got her all ready for a no show which was disappointing for her although and hence the late post I have taken her out for the morning and as a treat took her for lunch.

More though on this grey area – interesting a meeting was held supposedly with the Manager’s in the council where I am living on whether or not to inspect Childminders. Their thought process is that Childminders could be like a nursery and so need to be inspected although have decided to have another meeting on this coming Monday to fully decide and then will be informed if I will be inspected or not. Daft I think as to cancel an inspection with no notice is crazy. I duly informed her of the regulations which clearly and easily state whether a setting is a nursery or a childminder and that it was not acceptable to cancel at such a late stage. I also duly informed her that when she contacted me to find out if I was a nursery or a Childminder that I did inform her that I was a Childminder. She accepted that is what I had stated as I did query her on the inspection of a Childminder in a private home that would be similar to a catering business. Her reply was ‘but I was on holidays last week’. Surely someone had her diary and was able to see who was due to be inspected and would have had the courtesy to contact me to inform me it had been cancelled.

Rant over!

May I ask why you went out and bought new stuff just for the inspection? Did someone tell you special stuff was needed? What a shame because you should not have had to do that even with an up and coming inspection. The only item I have that a 'normal' home prob wouldn't is a food thermometer. Apart from that I have a normal domestic kitchen. I was a Catering Manager in my former life! EH don't bother me to be honest. They were all 'landed ' with cms a few years ago and most of them don't have the time, resources or the inclination to inspect us. In most areas it mean a doubling or more of registered food businesses in an area and the number of inspectors did not double over night. To be honest they have far greater concerns on their patch thatn a few childminders.