PDA

View Full Version : New child advice needed?

Hatchlings
13-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I have just been approached by a mum who would like to send her lol 4 days x 6 hrs week 1 of the month then nothing week 2 or week 3 & 2 hrs x 2 days week 4

I stated this would make the caps in the middle very hard to fill, & I also feel the child will get confused however she said it used to work for her old child minder however they have given her notice ( no explanation given to me ) & she needs this to start sept. I have had a few others committing & asking about sept.to sept.

I was wondering about asking her to pay a £1 per day for week 2 & 3 & 4 that she would be contracted for in week 1 if that makes sense:confused::confused::confused:.?

But was wondering what other experience childminders would do?

sing-low
13-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't do it. As you said, you would probably not fill the gaps. If it was the only work available, I might possibly. But as you've had other parents asking about September it doesn't sound like that's the case. And I agree, very confusing for the child. Maybe that was why the previous cm decided to give notice?

wendywu
13-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I would not do it not unless she paid a large retainer for the weeks she was not using me. But 2 hours for two days , no i would give this one a big miss :panic:

Kiddleywinks
14-05-2013, 05:44 AM
4 days x 6 hrs for week 1, half that as a retainer for weeks 2 and 3, and week 4 would be a mix of half fees for the unused hours and full fees for the used:

Week 1 = £96 (4 x 6 @ £4 ph)
Week 2 = £48 (half fees)
Week 3 = £48 (half fees)
Week 4 = £56 (2 x 2 @ £4ph + 20 hrs @ £2 ph)

Should parent want to take advantage of using me during their allocated hours, they would then top up from half to full fees for those hours.

I take little notice of what 'other' childminders agree to do :rolleyes: Their business is their business, this is the way I do things.....

However, if I was having more consistent hours being enquired about, I would try to hold out for them if possible :thumbsup:

Hatchlings
15-05-2013, 09:55 AM
4 days x 6 hrs for week 1, half that as a retainer for weeks 2 and 3, and week 4 would be a mix of half fees for the unused hours and full fees for the used:

Week 1 = £96 (4 x 6 @ £4 ph)
Week 2 = £48 (half fees)
Week 3 = £48 (half fees)
Week 4 = £56 (2 x 2 @ £4ph + 20 hrs @ £2 ph)

Should parent want to take advantage of using me during their allocated hours, they would then top up from half to full fees for those hours.

I take little notice of what 'other' childminders agree to do :rolleyes: Their business is their business, this is the way I do things.....

However, if I was having more consistent hours being enquired about, I would try to hold out for them if possible :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about not doing the same as everyone else however your advice & explanation is very good & fair i feel, I am waiting to hear back from a few mums as to there requirements sept but great advice many thanks :clapping:

lynnecowan
15-05-2013, 10:59 AM
My alarm bell rang at the no notice given to other cm, is she going to treat you as badly?

Minstrel
17-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Where does it say no notice given?

Op just says they have given notice to old cm but not told her the reason why.

Hatchlings
17-05-2013, 01:27 PM
My alarm bell rang at the no notice given to other cm, is she going to treat you as badly?

She did say she had to give 4 weeks notice in a different sentence just didn't give a reason as to why.

CLL
17-05-2013, 01:59 PM
She did say she had to give 4 weeks notice in a different sentence just didn't give a reason as to why.

Probably cm giving notice to them due to the strange hours and loss of income.

phoenix2010
17-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I would imagine old childminder found this quite unworkable and thats why she gave notice

I wouldnt do a job like this , it sounds like she needs to find a pay-as-you-go minder but that wouldnt guarentee her a space when she needed it

her only other option is to bit the bullet and pay a decent retainer to make it worth your while