PDA

View Full Version : Help? Advice? Reassurance?

EmmaMcA
13-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum, and I've been reading lots of posts and gained a raft of information.

I'm currently doing my LA course, and next week we'll be doing our application to OFSTED, I'm currently full time employed in a completely different role with redundancy looming over my head in the next couple of months. I've been thinking of childminding for a couple of years, I have a 4 year old who starts school this Sept and the school is 5 minutes walking distance so would be perfect for school runs and we have a large garden front and back, a downstairs toilet so children have no need to be upstairs, all my family and friends support me in thinking about this career change (expect my husband which is another story) saying that I would be perfect and I'm patience and firm, love being creative and love baking and cooking.

I'm just scared I simply don't have enough experience apart from my daughter and looking after friends/family children in school holidays (when I was part time) and I remember loving it but being exhausted at the end of the day. I don't like sitting still too long so the thought of being stuck in the house during winter scares me stiff. I'm worried about the long long hours, and what about holidays? When my daughter is in school like every other parent we're then chained to school holidays which I'm guessing is the biggest earner for childminding because parents are stuck for child care, so when do we get to go away? We currently enjoy caravan holidays, take off friday afternoon back on monday, can't really do that when your looking after children? Can you?

Then the biggest problem, our last session was about child safety and I know what kids are like, and the thought that a child might have a serious accident in my care fills me with dread, so as you can see I'm now questioning everything.

Anyone else been like me, completely brand new, and worried about everything????

xxx

dtaylor0710
16-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I am in exactly the same position currently waiting for the pre-reg course next month.

I work full time in a well paid job but after having two children of my own my whole mindset has changed and I want to do this so much it is just really scary.

Any advice will be appreciated and I would love to keep in touch and hear how you are getting on.

Good luck
X

sarah707
16-05-2013, 04:54 PM
don't panic!! There are 65000 childminders in England and serious accidents are rare.

Just take it one step at a time - get qualified - advertise and see who comes along. You can always say you only work 4 days a week and see what happens.

Good luck with it all! :D

Rick
16-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum, and I've been reading lots of posts and gained a raft of information.

I'm currently doing my LA course, and next week we'll be doing our application to OFSTED, I'm currently full time employed in a completely different role with redundancy looming over my head in the next couple of months. I've been thinking of childminding for a couple of years, I have a 4 year old who starts school this Sept and the school is 5 minutes walking distance so would be perfect for school runs and we have a large garden front and back, a downstairs toilet so children have no need to be upstairs, all my family and friends support me in thinking about this career change (expect my husband which is another story) saying that I would be perfect and I'm patience and firm, love being creative and love baking and cooking.

I'm just scared I simply don't have enough experience apart from my daughter and looking after friends/family children in school holidays (when I was part time) and I remember loving it but being exhausted at the end of the day. I don't like sitting still too long so the thought of being stuck in the house during winter scares me stiff. I'm worried about the long long hours, and what about holidays? When my daughter is in school like every other parent we're then chained to school holidays which I'm guessing is the biggest earner for childminding because parents are stuck for child care, so when do we get to go away? We currently enjoy caravan holidays, take off friday afternoon back on monday, can't really do that when your looking after children? Can you?

Then the biggest problem, our last session was about child safety and I know what kids are like, and the thought that a child might have a serious accident in my care fills me with dread, so as you can see I'm now questioning everything.

Anyone else been like me, completely brand new, and worried about everything????

xxx

I used to be sat behind a desk as a civil engineer. I also had the threat of redundancy hanging over my head which is why I left. I wasn't enjoying it anymore. My only experience with children is with my 2 year old son (and 4 day old son!). I'm also an independent male childminder so I think if I can do it then anyone can!

You need to obviously keep your training up to date but the most important thing you need is a passion and enthusiasm for the job. Childminding is a very rewarding job, all the other niggles you come across don't really matter. I got a feedback form from a parent the other day and thy said they were 'blessed' to have found me! No one ever said that to me in my old job!

In response to your other worries:
You will love it, will not have time to sit still and you will be exhausted at the end of the day! It's a requirement!
YOU are running your business, YOU decide your hours, YOU decide your holidays. If a parent is asking for days or hours outside what you want to work then decide if it's right for you, if not say no!
Winter sucks but it's not the end of the world....do some craft activities about winter. Take the children out and build a snowman! Toddler groups and other inside trips are great for winter time....you don't have to be stuck in. I registered in October and I admit it has been easier with (occasionally) dry weather in spring.
We can only risk assess and safe guard the children to the best of our abilities. They may get the occasional bump but we cannot wrap them up in cotton wool.

Hope that helps! :D

MessybutHappy
16-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Me to - ex professional that is!

:clapping: Best decision I ever made, and I can say that even though I'm having a really tough time at the moment! At the end of the day I'm in control of my destiny. I can accept or decline work, I can terminate a contract that's going south. I can take my kids with me on day trips in half term rather than paying someone else to. I'm learning a lot about myself and about this new career.

Go for it!! It's fab!!

toddlers896
16-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Ime not the best person to give advice as I've only been a childminder for just over a year but if I was to give you advice from my experience it would be to take it slowly. It's a great job and very rewarding and challenging but most of all you are your own boss and you can pick and choose what hours and days you want to work. If you can afford to take it slowly then don't take every enquiry that you get just because you think you won't get anything else, this is what I did and I ended up taking on too many and regretted it so wait until the right combination comes along and you will just love it. I've reduced my days and numbers now and I know I am going to be so much happier.as for all your other worries this is normal, I went through all this but it soon goes away on e you get started and if it doesn't then you have the people from this fab forum to help you out. I've learnt so much from here.good luck in your new adventure x

Petshrinklj
16-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Thank you for your post. I'm pre-reg too and been having lots of doubts. So its helpful seeing I'm not alone with these doubts and reading all the positive replies you've had cheers me up.
Goodluck hope you enjoy it

mrstom
17-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Ime not the best person to give advice as I've only been a childminder for just over a year but if I was to give you advice from my experience it would be to take it slowly. It's a great job and very rewarding and challenging but most of all you are your own boss and you can pick and choose what hours and days you want to work. If you can afford to take it slowly then don't take every enquiry that you get just because you think you won't get anything else, this is what I did and I ended up taking on too many and regretted it so wait until the right combination comes along and you will just love it. I've reduced my days and numbers now and I know I am going to be so much happier.as for all your other worries this is normal, I went through all this but it soon goes away on e you get started and if it doesn't then you have the people from this fab forum to help you out. I've learnt so much from here.good luck in your new adventure x

I totally agree with this. I've made the decision to work Mon-Weds, term time only for the moment (my own children are 4 and 5) and it seems to be working. I'd love more money coming in but it's been a steep learning curve and I'm trying not to run before I can walk. I've turned down some enquiries that would have been great but I'd have be stretched to the limit and that's not good for anyone's sanity!

I've also recently started my Level 3 so I've stopped actively advertising until that's finished (loads of people still know I'm a minder so a few enquiries trickle in from time to time). I'll see where I am in 6 months time once DS2 is settled in reception. Who knows, I might want to take on more work - that's the beauty of this job :)

sunview_cm
17-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I'm starting to think I've done exactly the same. I've got so caught up in making the business successful and thinking if I have a space it's there to fill. Just because I have a space does not mean I need to fill it!
I hate letting people down or turning them away, but I am seriously thinking of how I can cut back because I use to say I work to live not live to work and that is now exactly what I do. All I do is work!
It's not only the busy long hours but because you work from home you need to stay on top of the housework, you can't just say oh I'll do that next week! Living in a bungalow, the whole of my property is used for childminding. So everywhere has to been clean and tidy at the start of each day.
Guess this is something you learn as you go along! X