PDA

View Full Version : Childcare

childminder54
12-05-2013, 09:22 PM
I usually meet parents who are looking for childcare with no children on board. One parent insisted coming when I had children. One through a tantrum could not talk as children wanted my attention, was a nightmare. I have another parent asking the same, I've been thinking as these parents are in my house and I donot know them what happens if a child needs the toilet and I have to go out the room to assist them which I would not do, they have not been crb checked, I think my gut instinct is no you come when I want you too. I had another parent wanting to come when I'm working and bringing partner . I can see they want to come to see how I work, but I need to think of the children's safety. What do you do

supermumy
12-05-2013, 10:02 PM
I let the parent come at lunch times when it's quiter or provide a activity I know kids will be ok with

I agree parents should be able to view the setting with mindees after all thier child may be one of them and I know as a parent myself I would expect to see these too lol

busybee_mummy
12-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I would only want parents to come when I've got children, as this is when I'm at my best ;-) and the parents get to see you in action!

childminder54
12-05-2013, 11:42 PM
But what happens if one needs toilet do you leave other children with strangers. This is my concerns and cannot take them all with me

winstonian
13-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Could you take the other children with you? If not I would warn the parent visiting that I may have to ask them to step outside if I needed to leave the room. Explain about how we can not leave children with someone who isn't CRBd and it should all look positive and professional.

loocyloo
13-05-2013, 07:24 AM
i have parents visit when it is convienent for both of us - usually during my working day, but sometimes in the evening or at weekends.

if i am working, then we go with the flow. i warn parents that detailed conversations may not be possible! currently the majority of my LO use the toilet by themselves, but if they call, then i pop to see them. usually if i have to do a nappy, everyone comes as they like to 'help' !

having parents visit when i am working also helps me assess how they will fit in - ie, do they talk to the other children, are they happy for other children to come near their LO, how do they deal with their LO having to share, meet new people etc. if i find that the parents are not people i can 'chat' to, whilst doing other things, then i generally find that they are not the family for me!

Becci26
13-05-2013, 08:09 AM
I like parents to visit when I am working, they get to see how we roll here and also I get to see how they are with their children and others.

I once had a horrendous parent visit when I had 2 relative newbies about 13 months old, they both cried and were clingy the majority of the time, it was really tough going and I wondered what the parents must think, they called back the same day to say they would love their lo to come (phew!) :)

I'm definitely at my best when I have the lo's here,

With regards the toilet you would have to take them all with you or as somebody else suggested forewarn parents u may ask them to step outside for a minute x

AliceK
13-05-2013, 09:10 AM
I always have parents visit when I'm working, I think they like to see how you interact with other children and I in turn like to see them interacting with the other children. I had one awful couple, the father made a very sarcastic comment about a LO and at that point I knew I would not be working with them :angry:.

xxxx

Mouse
13-05-2013, 09:27 AM
I always have the first visit when I have no children here, so usually an evening, weekend, or on my day off. It means I can talk to parents & fully concentrate on their child. The second visit is then done when when I am working, on a day when the new child would be attending.

The Juggler
13-05-2013, 12:19 PM
i try to do first visits with no children so we can chat properly and then invite them back for a see how I work visit. However, I have done a few first visits when working.

I'm not really bothered.