PDA

View Full Version : Got my certificate, but now worried!!!

emma04
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
There really is no pleasing me is there?...... Now I have my certificate i'm worried i'm not going to get enough mindees to pay my wages. I'm sure alot of people have this worry and i suppose its the risk you take. Any words of experienced comfort would be greatly appreciated.:panic:

(Don't get much support from my family as they all think i'm mad!):(

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Congratulations xxx

well doen enow you need to advertise advertise advertise, might be slow to start with but you will be ok trust me, may just take a little time to get going

xxx

bubbly
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Emma, I began minding at the beginning of Dec with just one full-time baby. I've now got his half-sister on a temporary basis while her nursery is closed for repairs. I've had a handful of enquiries but nothing's come of these so far. Either the hours haven't been right or I've had enquiries for babies (my 0-1 year old place is taken). Quite a few childminders have told me you go through periods of no enquiries for a few months, then suddenly the phone doesn't stop ringing.

angeldelight
04-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Well done Emma

Everything is a risk in life you just have to go for it

Advertise yes and good luck hope you get some calls soon

Angel xx

emma04
04-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for that all.

I have one little boy already, he is starting on the 25th Feb, will be having him for 3 full days mon, tue, wed. Just makes it awkward cos i now need to fill the thur and fri (which i think will be hard) and my aim is to find a full timer. That should set me up for a while so fingers crossed. ( the boy is 10months so full timer will need to be over 12 months):)

miffy
04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Congratulations Emma

Make sure you have your details on the CIS website and on notice boards like the local health centre, library etc. You could contact any large employers locally and askif you could advertise there.

Above all just make sure you tell everyone you meet you are a childminder.

Good luck

Miffy xx

angeldelight
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Good news about the little boy and Feb will be here before you know it

Do not concentrate on full timers too much

I was much the same years ago - I am lucky that I do have full timers now but years ago that is all I aimed for and it just does not work out like that

The part timers if you can get them make your money up so do not turn them down

I also have some part timers some come 3 days some come 2 days so you might fill your days yet just like me

Good luck

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Nothing to add on the advice front, as you've had brill advice from everyone, just wanted to say congratulations emma

xxx

Polly2
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Congratulations!!!

I'm sure you will fill those spaces soon

xx

Mollymop
04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Well done Jemma,

You have done well getting interest staight away with a child ready to start.
I bet you will be in demand before you know it.
Good luck

bubbly
04-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Quite a few childminders have told me you go through periods of no enquiries for a few months, then suddenly the phone doesn't stop ringing.

Just after posting that, I had an enquiry lol. Unfortunately it was for evenings & I couldn't help. I finish work at 6pm and couldn't cope with starting all over again 30 mins later! Bummer :(

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
see the phone has started ringing already .....

xxx

loopylu
04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Well done Emma!

Don't worry - you will get enquiries.

I started in March 07 with one little boy, and within a few months I was full and taking enquiries every week. It will happen, just be patient.

Like Angel says, don't just concentrate on full timers - part timers can really make your money up too.

Good luck!

berkschick
04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Make sure you put an advert on Gumtree too, and revise it everyday to get it to the top of the list :thumbsup:

I have had several enquiries from there and one of my mindees was from there!

Love

Debbie

emler
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Good luck Emma. Like others have already said, don't worry too much about full-timers - I only have part timers at the moment and its working out great.

Emler x

Rubybubbles
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
once you start taking this one out and about, you'll find more people asking what you do. I tell everyone I'm a childminder within 10 minutes of taking to them lol but they rememeber and have a few phone call that way. I have adverts everywhere and give out cards too. (but I don't so much now as I've been in this area 3 years and everyone knows me hehe!!)

deeb66
09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that all.

Just makes it awkward cos i now need to fill the thur and fri (which i think will be hard) and my aim is to find a full timer. That should set me up for a while so fingers crossed. ( the boy is 10months so full timer will need to be over 12 months):)

You will be amazed at the odd sorts of days people want.....I used to look after 2 boys Mon, Tue & Wed and 2 girls on Thu & Fri.

I never thought I would fill the Thursday & Friday slot but I did!!!

emma04
09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Now have no idea why i was worrying...........I could almost be full already!!!!!!

Well sort of, had to apply for a variation as two under 12 months (one 10 month one 6 months), but only for 7 weeks as 10 month old is 1 in April and he doesn't start until end of Feb. Also only for 3 days a week together. Crossing fingers on this very tightly!!!

Have even nearly managed to fill the Thursday and Friday with a 3 yr old, 90% sure but the definite comes tomorrow!

So fingers crossed tighter than ever, if the variation is agreed then hopefully in several weeks time i'll be able to sleep again!!!:clapping:

Spangles
09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Well done Emma, hope it all works out and even if you don't get the variation approved at least you can see that you will be able to fill your spaces!

I'm really pleased for you!

deeb66
09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Well done Emma....I am pleased it is all working out for you.

I told you that the Thursday & Friday might not be as difficult to fill as you thought!!!