PDA

View Full Version : CoEL

Little miss
11-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm stuck on how I am supposed to either use these in my planning or write about them in my observations.
I know what they are - but how do I include/use them please?
Should I have a section in my planning/observation sheets for these?
Thanks

sarah707
11-05-2013, 07:31 PM
I think people use them in different ways.

Personally I monitor the characteristics over 6 months the same as I do the summary assessments.

I don't think the characteristics change that much - a bit like the child's personality.

Hth :D

Little miss
11-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks sarah. Do you record them then in your 6 month observations?

sarah707
12-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Here's the link to the file in free resources which should help you to note the characteristics -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/characteristics_of_effective_learning.pdf

I have a sheet which I fill in - alongside the child's play plan - which contains little anecdotes and obs linked to the various characteristics as I see them displayed.

I use it over 6 months - adding a comment every so often - and try to show in my planning how I have used the child's characteristics, extended them etc during play.

Hth :D

The Juggler
12-05-2013, 07:31 AM
i have a box at the bottom of my obs sheets and I tick which CoEL were used by the child. Then when I do my termly summaries and next steps for each child I comment on how the child uses CoEL's in a narrative way at the end. :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
13-05-2013, 01:30 PM
i have a box at the bottom of my obs sheets and I tick which CoEL were used by the child. Then when I do my termly summaries and next steps for each child I comment on how the child uses CoEL's in a narrative way at the end. :thumbsup:

thats how I do mine :)

Sometimes I find an observation may not necessary fit into the development matters so links well to CoEL. I miss the EYFS 2008 I knew exactly where everything went haha!

I also have this on my board at home rather than going back and forward through my development matters booklet!

Little miss
14-05-2013, 09:59 AM
That's brill ruby bubbles thanks!